Chapter 14

Kelsey's P.O.V

It's been a long day at the office and I'm really looking forward to sinking into a warm bath while cradling a glass of wine or hell maybe an entire bottle.

With a heavy sigh, I unlock my front door and step inside while kicking my heels off and dropping my bag somewhere.

My hand grabs my chest as my heart threatens to jump out but before I can have a heart attack however my vision adjusts to the darkness of the room. I can slowly make out the silhouette standing in front of my glass window as it's gently caressed by the lights shining up and out from the city.

Deciding that a glass of wine may be a requirement for the inevitable conversation, I walk to the kitchen to grab a bottle before walking towards my couch forgoing the glass altogether.

I'm almost halfway through the bottle when my house guest decides to join me on the couch.

The silence remains for some time, I don't know just how long to be honest but it's passing the halfway mark now. Then again, considering the current state of my nerves, that doesn't say much.

"Nothing to say?" she asks.

"I've said all I wanted to; you are the one who is yet to respond." I reply.

With these words hanging in the air, the silence stretches on even further.

Having had enough of the tension, I place the almost empty wine bottle on the coffee table and head to the bathroom.

I start preparing my bath while stepping out of my work clothes. With my warm bath now ready, I drop my towel and enter the welcoming body of water.

I'm half asleep when my comfort is interrupted momentarily but then enhanced by a soft and warm body being pressed against my back.

Sometimes an apology doesn't need words and sometimes forgiveness is expressed through actions as well.

Her hands caress my body as I bury my entire being into hers. With my head snug under her neck, my body curled into her lap and her arms around me, I feel at peace.

Her hands stroke their way downwards and to my core but I remove them gently before intertwining our fingers and bringing her hand upwards to my lips for a kiss.

She stirs slowly and eventually her eyes open.

"Good morning." She whispers.

Sighing deeply, I whisper the same before sitting upright in the bed allowing the sheets to fall revealing my nakedness.

"We need to talk, Kat." I say quietly, breaking the budding silence.

"Go ahead." She replies not bothering to move.

"I slept with heaven again but now I'm completely sure I have no feelings for her. It's all very confusing because while I'm sexually attracted to her there is nothing else there." I confess.

"Oh." Is her response while she clears her throat and sits beside me, with our shoulder never quite touching.

"Are you going to sleep with her again?" she continues.

"Does it matter?" I question softly.

"To me, yes. It does." She whispers as she picks at her fingertips.

I gently place a hand between hers, putting a stall on her nervous habit.

"I don't know." I finally sigh out.

She lets go of my hand and leaves the bed. I make no attempt to stop her, instead, I stay silent as my eyes observe every inch of her body while she gets dressed.

She was just about done when she stops abruptly and sits at the edge of the bed.

"I don't want you to." She barely whispers.

"I want you to try for me, with us." She continues before I can speak.

Crawling down the bed, I kneel beside her and slowly move the hair that's fanning her face so I can see her.

My heart aches when I see the gloss of her eyes as she holds back tears, taking her head in my hands I kiss her forehead and set them free.

She embraces me and I hold her. We remain like this for a while until her sniffling stops.

"Okay, I'll try." I croak out before clearing my throat.

"Promise?" she asks.

"I do." I answer before kissing her cheek.

She turns her head for a kiss on the lips but my heart wouldn't let me, and my mind knows why.

"Slow. One day at a time." Was all I said before walking away and going to the bathroom.

Looking in the mirror I immediately close my eyes because I don't like what I see. Muffling a scream, I wash my face with water before stepping into the cold shower.

When I exit the bathroom, Kat is no longer there.

Dropping unto my bed I try to ignore my current thoughts by browsing some social media apps, unfortunately, the person in my thoughts is quite active online.

Seeing her post a few pics I decide to scroll through her profile. After all my snooping, I see she is still online and apparently having friends over tonight so I decided to text her.

I'm not sure when I fell asleep but I woke up some hours later.

I get up to get dressed and remember I had texted Heaven. Grabbing the phone, I check my messages but she hasn't responded even though she is still actively posting online so I know she's seen it.

Groaning loudly, I roll my eyes and delete her number. It may be a drastic move but right now it may just be for the best as I should be investing all this energy in keeping my promise to Kat.

With that in the back of my mind, I call my mom hoping that Josh is still up because I haven't spoken to him since he was on his way home from school and I'm missing his cheeriness.