Chapter 9

Kelsey's POV

I have been laying on this couch for a while now; I am so stuck in my thoughts that I haven't noticed the time passing.

A knock on the door brings me back to reality.

"Yes?" was my only response.

"Are you alright in there boss?" Kurt, one of my guards, asks.

"Yea, I'll be out in a minute. Thanks." I reply.

Shaking my head in an attempt to clear my thoughts that seem to be stuck on repeat. I am about to leave the room to get ready and head home when something catches my eye. Walking back to the couch, I retrieve the wallet with a smile.

I walk through the front door of my house but I am not completely sure how I got here. I suppose driving home has become such a habit that I don't need full brain functionality to do it.

Walking into the kitchen, I become a bit alarmed when I see used cigarettes in my ashtray, mainly because since I don't smoke. Removing a knife from the counter-top, I slowly turn around and start sneaking towards the back of the house. I nearly shit myself when I round the corner and collide with my best friend.

"For fuck's sake Kat! You scared the hell out of me!" I scream at her.

She rolls her eyes and continues her trek to the kitchen before pouring herself some wine.

"Sorry. Wine?" she asks grumpily.

Sighing, I nod my head and join her in the kitchen.

"KELSEY!" Kat yells in my ear.

"What the actual fuck Katherine?" I reply, my tone laced with annoyance.

"I've been calling you for 5 minutes now." She simply says before shoving a glass of wine in my hand.

She walks off and curls up on the couch. Eventually, she speaks again.

"I came to see you tonight." She says softly.

I stare at her a bit shocked since I don't remember seeing her in the club.

"I came around back asking for you, I was told you were busy. I figured you were messing around so I left." She adds.

My only response is a low grunt.

Silence.

"So are you going to tell me what happened?" she asks with a sigh.

Silence.

"Well?" she nags.

"I had sex," I answer.

"Ok?" she says sounding annoyed.

"She fucked me," I whisper.

Silence.

"Oh," she whispers.

"Yea," I reply.

"Who was she?" she asks with an underlying tone I can't identify.

Digging through my handbag, I remove the wallet before walking over and handing it to her.

"Where do you know her from and why do you have her wallet?" she asks.

"I don't" I squeak out.

"Pardon?" she snaps.

"I don't know her, we just met," I say looking directly at her.

I see a wave of hurt flash across her face before she empties her glass of wine. Without another word, she drops the wallet on the couch and leaves the room.

Sighing deeply I put my untouched wine down and bury my head in my hands. Groaning loudly, I slowly sit on the couch while trying to sort my mind.

Kat has been with me for a long time now, she was there before I was raped and after. I have never kept anything from her and we have always been best friends. On occasions, we have been more than 'just friends' and without any regrets. She is my son's godmother and has played the parent role in his life so many times.

This is why she knows that ever since the night I was raped; only my fingers have penetrated my core. She has tried a few times but I have never been comfortable enough to let her. She has gone down on me before but even then I was never completely comfortable but I had ignored the feeling and gave in to pleasure.

I understand why she might feel upset about me letting a stranger in. I haven't wrapped my head around it either, it makes no sense to me. What scares me, even more, is that I would let it happen again. There was just something about that woman that left me vulnerable.

I don't know when or even if Kat will get over this and I am truly terrified of losing my best friend. She has always been jealous and sensitive about sharing me, it was always cute but now I wish she wasn't.

The truth is, Kat has always been my rock and I wouldn't be who I am today without her. Getting past what happened wasn't easy and loving my son didn't come overnight. I worked hard and she held my hand and kept me going the entire way.

She is the love of my life. She is my best friend.

I take a shower before going to bed. I roll over in the bed and my whole body tenses when I'm met with a piercing gaze that seems to be searching soul.

"Did I wake you?" I whisper.

"No." she replies, her voice sounds hoarse. The way it sounds when she tries to speak after crying. I feel the tears threatening to fall but I clench my teeth and hold them back.

After a few moments of silence and staring she speaks, "I don't understand."

I don't know what to say, but the tears fall as I watch her eyes getting watery.

"I know baby, neither do I. I'm so sorry," I respond, my breath is shaky while I try to stop my tears from falling.

Seeing her tears roll free, I cup her face in my hands and try to kiss them away.

"I love you so much," I whisper against her lips.

A sob rocks her body as her hands grip my waist and she buries her head in my neck.

We hold each other in the darkness of the night, sharing a truth that we would rather not know.