13: The good luck patrol

"Amber, please take a seat." Gustavo says.

"Why did you wanna see me?" I say in a raspy tone.

"To talk about what happened yesterday between Kendall and Jackson."

"Oh. Uh, Kendall and Jackson just had some differences. That's all." I say, tapping my leg under the desk.

"I want to believe that. But something is telling me that it's more than that. What's going on?" He asks, folding his hands.

"Promise you won't tell anyone." I state and he nods.

"So, Jackson and I used to date. He was at the Palm Woods before and he came back yesterday to win we back. But while we're were dating a while back, he was abusive. I left him and some enough, Jackson left the Palm Woods. A couple day after the guys arrived here, Kendall and I bonded, so I told him everything that happened. That's why he lashed out." I say, a single tear rolling down my cheek.

"I'm so sorry Amber, I didn't know." He says.

"It's fine. You already signed him anyway." I sigh, wiping my face.

"Not quite. Jackson only signed a percentage contract. Not the actual record label contract." He says and my eyes widen.

"Don't worry, I'm not gonna sign him. I'll give him to the other companies that are waiting to sign him. I'll place a restraining order if you'd like me to." He offers.

"Thank you but, I need to fight this battle myself." I say.

"Very well. But come to me is anything happens."

"I will. Thank you Gustavo." I grin and walk out of his office.

||

"So, what happened?" James asks as the three boys gather around me.

"I told Gustavo everything. Turns out, Jackson only signed a percentage contract. Not the record label one. So, Gustavo isn't gonna sign him." I say.

"That's great!" The guys smile in unison.

"Yeah. He offered a restraining order but I declined." I shrug.

"What?! Why?" James exclaims.

"I need to fight my own battles. I'm not a little kid, I'm 17." I state.

"I understand what you're saying but, I don't think you know the how serious this situation is." Logan says.

"But what Jackson did was in the past. It's not like I'm getting back with him. I'm not that stupid."

"She does have a point." Carlos nods.

"Okay, look, we'll make sure Jackson stays away from you." Logan says.

"How?"

"Yeah, he could literally kill you guys." James points out and I snicker.

"Not by violence! By an order of protection. We'll be the good luck patrol!" Logan says.

"Lucky!" Carlos and Logan say, doing a handshake.

"Guys, I don't need protection. Gustavo isn't signing him so he'll probably go back to North Dakota or in another state with a different record label." I say, getting up from the tanning bed.

"I really wanted to used my walkie talkie!" Carlos frowns, tossing it aside and I chuckle.

"I'll see you guys later." I breathe, walking into the lobby.

"Hey Mr. Bitters." I greet him

"Hello Amber. How's your arm?"

"It's fine, it's pretty much healed."

"Good. Where's Kendall and his hockey head friends?" He asks and I scoff.

"They're by the pool and Kendall, I don't know where he is. Nor do I care either." I huff, crossing my arms.

"I'm guessing you had a fight?"

"Something like that." I nod.

"Just talk to him. Ignoring each other will make it worse." He says.

"I don't know. Well, I'll see you later." I say and he nods.

I wave with a grin and head into the elevator, making my way to my apartment.

I walk down the long hallway and see a familiar pair of hazel eyes burning into my blue ones.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him.

"Like I said, to win you back babe." He winks and I lock my jaw.

"But also because Gustavo changed his mind and said he didn't want to sign me. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?" He asks.

"No. I wasn't even at the studio today. I was at the pool with my friends." I say in a steady voice.

"Okay, I'll find out who did then." He smirks.

"Good luck with that." I nod.

"So, I was thinking we could go on a date tomorrow?" He says, grazing my hand and I flinch, immediately stepping back.

"Jackson, I broke up with you. It's over. I already like someone else." I state.

"Oh that asshole, Kendall?" He scoffs.

"He's nothing but a player who has a bad temper. And he's probably a bad singer too." He scoffs.

"I never said anything about Kendall. And that's your opinion. Jackson, I said we're done." I state.

He stares at me a moment and then slaps me, hard, that I fall on the floor.

"Fine." He states and walks away.

I get up with a whimper and hold the side of my cheek as I open my door and shut it behind me.

Nothing ever goes right for me.