A Big Lie

Jack is sat in the office on a Skype call to his mother who is attempting to get Jack to bring his so-called girlfriend to his sister's wedding next weekend in Northern Ireland. "...So you're telling me your girlfriend doesn't want to come to the wedding? Come on Jack, what woman doesn't like a wedding?" His Mother speaks. 

Jack leans back in his chair and watches his mother on the screen who is sipping a cup of tea, "This girlfriend..." Jack says attempting to get her out of the idea of him bringing his girlfriend to the wedding who was, in fact, none existent, Jack truthfully hadn't had a girlfriend for over nine months now. 

"Talk to her, I am sure she will come round to the idea. Oh is this her, now?" Ruth his mother smiles as a blonde headed woman walks into the room just out of focus. 
"What! Mum!" Jack whines like a teenage boy.
"Oh, so this is the lucky lady!" Ruth smirks.

Jack blushes as he looks away from his Mum and looks at Nikki who is smiling back at him, she walks over to the desk, she rests her hand on Jack's shoulder and looks at the woman on the computer screen, "Hello?"Ruth says looking at the woman standing with her hands on his son's shoulder. "Is this..." Ruth is cut off by Jack jumping in. 
"Mum seriously, not now!" He huffs. 
"Oh, so this is your Mum? Don't see why you're so shy," Nikki smirks and hits his shoulder playfully. 

"See Jack, nothing to worry about love, she's a lovely girl, a keeper... you two should be happy together" Ruth chuckles happily as she admires the woman she assumes is Jack's long term girlfriend. 

"Together?" Nikki breathes with a laugh. 
She looks at Jack who grabs her hand and squeezes it, "Yes Nik's... that's what happened when you're in a serious relationship." 

Nikki looks at him completely confused by what is going on, "Jack?" Nikki speaks. 
"Oh is that the time? best be going Mum, love you... bye!" Jack panics and ends the skype call and turns and looks at Nikki. 

"Right Hodgson... you better explain yourself!" Nikki frowns. 
Jack takes a deep breath in and looks down at the floor before looking back up, he runs his hand through his hair and takes another deep breath, "Look my Mum thinks I have a girlfriend... well you see it all started last year when I found out my younger sister Laura was getting married, Mum rang me to tell me the news and then proceeded to say I should bring a plus one and then asked if I had a girlfriend, and I lied and told her I had a girlfriend, you see when she asked about this so-called girlfriend I ended up explaining and describing you to her, I think that is why she believes it was you. Please don't kill me Nikki" Jack explains. 

Nikki puts her hands on her hips and looks up at the ceiling for a second before looking back at Jack, Jack cringes and braces himself and expects a slap from Nikki, but instead Nikki laughs and rolls her eyes, "You're an idiot, so am I involved in your little lie and game now?" She smirks and Jack nods slowly. 

"Will you be my plus one? I mean I totally understand if you don't want too, I can make up that I've broken up with my girlfriend" Jack explains and picks up a pen and messes with it while awaiting a reply from Nikki. 

"Fine..." She begins and Jack stands up and goes to hug her but Nikki steps away, "...But, you owe me big time Hodgson!" She finishes and Jack pulls her into a friendly hug. 
"Thank you, thank you, thank you... you are amazing!" Jack says and kisses her temple quickly before stepping away from Nikki. 

"So give me the details and what do I need to pack" Nikki chuckles and gets her phone out ready to write a list of what she needs to pack. 
Jack smirks and proceeds to list of a number of items she will need, although these are rather normal items apart from the formal clothing for the wedding day and the pre-wedding party which is set two days before the wedding.