11. Confused Midnight is Confused

Luna stormed passed Snowfall and the filly, "what was that about? We heard your neigh all the way from our clearing." Snowfall asked.

"Nothing..." Luna grumbled.

"We where worried something happened, we didn't see you!" The filly said.

The two followed behind Luna, pestering her with questions about the black stallion and why she went to meet him and the light mare.

Luna turned her head to them, "enough!" She raised her head to her full height and walked away to go nibble on some clovers, leaving a startled filly and stunned Snowfall.

Midnight stood in shock, staring at the place Luna stood minutes before,

'First friend? She's full grown! An adult!' He tossed the thought around in his mind.

Midnight felt bad, he hurt Luna's feelings, thinking that she intended to take his herd. Ivy went to patrol the border of the territory and left Midnight to think it out. He trotted to the border of the half clearing and surveyed the area on the other side, mares and stallions of all colors, breeds and sizes stood on the other side. Midnight searched the herd for Luna, but didn't see her. He scanned the trees and noticed the body of a human girl on the far side of the clearing.

Midnight snorted and followed the tree line to it, he slowed and stood a distance away. The human girl didn't see him, she was crying, tears poured from her eyes. She was sitting on a rock hugging her knees, her chin rested on them. Midnight felt the urge to comfort her, he walked slowly to her and stopped a few feet away when he stepped on a twig.

The human girl spun her head to Midnight and gasped, she jumped off the rock and hid behind it. Midnight walked around the rock and stared at the girl.

The human scurried away and under a bush, "shoo! Shoo Midnight!" She covered her mouth once she said his name.

Midnight's ears pricked up at the sound of his name, how did the human know his name?

The human sighed, "okay..." Her soft voice echoed through his ears, his recognized it, "Midnight.. You caught me..."

She crawled out of the bush, pushing Midnight to step back. He watched as the girl changed into the mare he knew, Luna.

"Luna?!" Midnight stepped back in surprise.

"Yeah... It's me... But please! Don't tell anyone!" Luna pleaded.

"How is that possible?!" Midnight asked.

"Well... My family was a family of "choice shifters," a kind of supernatural human race of little numbers. The first living creature you shift into, is what you change into for the rest of your life. I chose mustang." Luna gave a short explanation.

"So your posing as a horse?!" Midnight yelled.

"shush! I don't want my herd to know!" Luna scolded, "and no, I'm living the rest of my life as a horse. The only time I shift from a horse is when I'm extremely weak or...." She trailed off, but Midnight knew what she was going to say.

"Heartbroken." Midnight finished.

Luna lowered her head and nodded, "you are the first friend I ever had so it really hurt when you accused me of trying to take your herd."

"I'm sorry about that.. May our herds ally instead?" Midnight apologizes.

"Your forgiven, and yes!" Luna perked up quickly.

Midnight half smiled and galloped off to tell his herd, and Luna galloped to tell hers.

Luna called out a name of a horse, and a blue roan stallion came forward, "yes?"

"Can you remember things easily with no trouble?" Luna asked.

"Yes, ma'am." He stood tall, proud of his amazing memory.

"May you be my messenger?" Luna questioned.

His sapphire blue eyes sparkled, "of course, ma'am." He dipped his head in respect.

"Thank you, that is all." Luna dipped her head and went on with her day, leaving the stallion standing there, happy with his new job.