Morning

Serena's eyes slowly opened the next morning.  She lay at the bottom of the tank, her hair floating around her.  She pushed herself up and stretched, bubbles escaping her mouth as she yawned.  She rubbed her eyes and swam upwards breaking the surface.

"Kyle?" She spoke slowly at the man's back turned away from her.  He turned and smiled at her with his deep blue eyes, "Good morning, Serena."

Her mouth broke into a grin. "Hi..." She said shyly.  She grabbed the edge of the tank and pulled herself up leaning over it. "What are you doing?" She asked curiously.

"Fixing your breakfast..." He mumbled, "I'm confused really.  I took everything from the aqaurium and I can't figure out what a mermaid would want.  Are you hungry?"

Serena felt her stomach growl and she nodded, "Starved, actually." She tried to catch a glimpse of what he was concocting. 

He turned around with a plastic container in his hand and casually walked over to her.  Serena couldn't believe how relaxed she felt around him.

"Does this look somewhat appetizing?" He held it up towards her.

Serena scrunched her nose and reached down and grabbed a single slice of seaweed from the pile of mushy greens.  She bit a piece of it off and chewed slowly.  "This could be fresher..." She murmured between bites.  It was a bit soggy for her taste, but the saltiness of it satisfied her hunger.  "I eat seaweed mainly.  Just about any sea plants I can find.  It gets old though."  She gazed down at the bowl of greens and picked up another piece of seaweed.

Kyle nodded, "Most of our animals eat fish and foods like that...I figured you didn't."

Serena snorted, "No, I certainly don't." 

Kyle smiled, "I'll try to find some better greens for you."  He paused and looked over at a brown bag slung over the single office chair.  "Hold on."  He walked over and pulled out a yellow object.  He held it up, "Do you know what this is?"

Serena arched an eyebrow and shook her head, "No I don't.  What is it?'

"It's called a banana.  Have you ever had any human food?"

"I was swimming around an island once and there was a tree leaning over the water.  I grabbed a heavy brown thing...I believed it was called a coconut?  I tried to open it but it didn't work.."  Kyle laughed and put the container on the floor.  He walked over to the counter and laid a paper towel down.  He peeled the banana and took out his pocket knife.  He slowly diced the banana into several pieces.  He popped one of the slices into his mouth.  "Try this."

Serena hesitated, "Are you sure?"

Kyle walked over to her and held a slice of the yellow fruit up.  She took it between her fingers and bit a tiny piece off.  She chewed slowly. "Mmm!" her eyes widened, "It's so sweet!"  She popped the rest of it into her mouth.  

Kyle handed her another piece.  Serena pointed to the container laying by her take, "May I?"

He bent over and brought the container up to her.  Serena took a piece of seaweed and wrapped the banana into it.  She popped it into her mouth and sighed, "So good!" 

Kyle laughed, "I'm glad you like it." 

Serena smiled at him and laughed.  She and Kyle finished the rest of the banana slices in no time.

Once she was finished, Serena leaned back in the water, floating on her back, relaxed.  She thought aloud in the silence.  "What did they mean my new home?"  She sat up and ran a hand through her hair.

Kyle sat on the platform above her tank and looked down at her with a rather intense gaze.  Serena glanced away, suddenly feeling shy.  Kyle was silent for a few minutes before he finally answered her.  "You're a display for the aquarium, Serena."  He looked down, feeling a little ashamed, "Your new home will be in a much larger tank that will feel like home to you.  Except people will be able to see everything you do.  Well, except the cave.  There's a nice, roomy cave for you to sleep and peacefully rest in."

"But how can it feel like home, Kyle?  I belong in the ocean.  I'm not a jumping dolphin, or a ferocious man-eating shark.  I'm just...me."  Serena's voice broke and she looked away.  

"Serena, I'm so sorry.  I really am.  But I really have no say in this.  I just have to do my job as I'm told.  But I promise ou, I will do my best to help you in any way that I can."

Serena nodded glumly before submerging herself beneath the water.  She was done talking.