Her New Home

Serena couldn't sleep that night.  Her mind was reeling.  What had she done?  Why on earth would she kiss a human?  It was wrong.  They could never be together, no matter how badly Serena wanted that to happen...

Wait..

Serena's head jerked up as the door banged open in front of her.  She went on alert as a few men in black suits and the owner, Terry, marched into the room.  They didn't look hostile, but that didn't keep Serena from hissing loudly under water.  Terry held up his hands and the men in the black wetsuits stopped in their tracks.  Terry stepped forward and motioned at the door.  Kyle entered.  Instantly, Serena relaxed.

Kyle moved slowly over to the tank and rest his hand on it.  Serena matched it with hers, nodding.  She trusted him.  

Kyle waved the men forward and Serena flinched away from the tank.  

The men climbed the ladder and each dropped onto the platform inside her tank.  There were four black figures hovering above her that Serena could see.  In the next few seconds, they dropped into the water, reaching for Serena.

There was hardly any space for all five people in the tank.  Serena didn't have anywhere to go.  She gasped as one of the men drove a needle into her arm.  She began to scream but it became slurred as her eyelids drooped and she slumped to the bottom of the tank, unconcious.

-----

Where am I?

Serena's eyes slowly opened as she fought to sit up.  She was in a net.  Once again.  She huffed in anger.  But she was no longer in the small tank in the small room.  She looked around.  This must be her new home.  If she hasn't seen Kyle's familiar figure standing a few yards away on the opposite side of the new enclosure, she would have sworn she was back home in the ocean.

As she looked around, the net raised off of her and out of the water by a machine.  Serena stretched and gazed around.  The entire enclosure was exceptionally nice.  The entire bottom was covered in soft white sand.  Serena's favorite.  Random sea plants and rocks were arranged sporadically in the sand.  The enclosure was very deep and very wide.  Plenty of room for Serena to swim, flip, and basically do watever she wanted.  

She looked behind her and noticed the cave she and Kyle had talked about.  It was medium size. Pretty big for the enclosure, but Serena had been in caves much bigger at the bottom of the ocean.

She flicked her tail and sped into the opening, disappearing from Kyle's view.  It was dark at first, but the short tunnel opened up into a large room illuminated by the sun in the few holes at the top of the cave and an installed white light.  Some of the smooth rocks lay beneath the water while a few were raised to be above the water.  Perfect for Serena's liking.  She swam over them and ran her hands along the smooth, cold rock.  She lay down on one of the 'platforms' and shut her eyes for a few minutes.  Yes, she could get used to this.  

She sat up and swam out of the cave.  She pulled on the seaweed that partially covered the opening.  For privacy, she guessed.  She ran her hands through the white sand as she swam low, her tail brushing the sand.  She saw Kyle still standing and she quickly swam over to his figure.  She placed both of her hands against the glass.  She frowned.

Did this mean she wouldn't get to spend as much time with him anymore?  Would they ever be able to speak to each other again?

Yes. he mouthed, answering her unspoken question.  Kyle smiled at her and gestured to the wet suit in his hand.  He then motioned to the small platform that floated in the left corner of the entire area, pretty far from her cave.  She nodded and flicked her tail, propelling herself away from him and towards the surface of the crystal clear water.  She breathed in the warm air and moved over to the hard, rubber platform pulling herself up onto it.

A few minutes later, Kyle's head popped up and Serena smiled, "Is it just you?" she asked.

He nodded, "The aquarium closes at 7 on week days and at 6 on the weekends.  It's Saturday.  And it's 6:15."

"But the sun is still out."

"Yes." He grinned.  "It's setting though.  It is summer after all, when the sun is out the longest."

She nodded, "What about the owner?  And the other men in black suits?" She glanced at his wetsuit.

"They all just went home for the day. I told Terry I would make sure you adjusted well when he took the net off.  He went home.  He'll be back in the morning.  As will everyone else."

"I don't know if I like this or not." She gestured the the huge area around them. "I won't get to see you as often."

"Hey." he clasped her hand in his. "I have a key.  I can come and go anytime I choose." 

He leaned in towards her and her breath caught, "We can't-"

His lips met hers, silencing her.  Serena closed her eyes and felt her body warm instantly.  Her arms wrapped around his neck and she felt his hands slip to her waist.  She pulled back, breathless.

"Kyle, what are we going to do about this?  About us?"

He looked down, "I don't know, Serena.  I honestly don't know what's going to happen.  But I want to be with you.  No matter what."