Conversation

Gradually, the room began to empty.  The white-coated scientists slowly began to file out of the room until it was just Serena, Dr. Hayes, and Kyle.

"I presume she will be taken care of?" Dr. Hayes asked Kyle, a glint in his eye.

"Of course.  I understand how important she is to Terry and Suellen."

Who was Terry?  Who was Suellen?  Serena wondered.

"Good."  Dr. Hayes nodded to him and then walked over to Serena's temporary tank.  "I know you're intelligent, and I know you understand me." He paused.  Serena scoffed and turned her head away pointedly.

Dr. Hayes chuckled. "Good luck, Kyle.  I hope she doesn't prove to be too much of a handful for you."

Good luck?  He was wishing Kyle luck?  With her? Serena's facial features twisted into anger and she hissed in a low voice.  Bubbles escaped her mouth and she turned away from the two, her hair fanning out behind her.

The door shut a few minutes later and Serena turned her head slightly.  Dr. Hayes was gone and Kyle stood a few feet away, staring at her with those deep blue eyes.  He held his hand up to her and Serena arched her eyebrows, curious.

He took a few steps forward and waited.  Serena's back was pressed to the back of the tank so she flicked her tail and inched forward slightly.

Kyle took another step.

Serena flicked her tail again, a little harder this time.

The two were about a foot away from each other, separated by glass.

Serena could see his dark eyes clearly and watched him smile at her.  He placed his hand against the cool glass, strecthing his fingers out.

Serena shied away at the sudden movement before realizing that the boy wasn't going to harm her. Slowly, she peaked at him and lifted her thin hand and placed it right where his was.  She grinned shyly, revealing her white smile.  There was something about this human that was different from the scientists.  He seemed kind, and gentle.

Kyle gazed back at her and pulled his hand back.  He used his finger and pointed upwards, motioning her to go to the surface.  

Serena bit her bottom lip and flicked her tail, propelling her backwards a few feet.  She watched him walk around the tank and up the ladder that led to a platform.  The platform rested about two feet above the water.  Serena looked up and watched him sit down on it, cross-legged.  Without thinking she swam upwards and poked her head out of the water revealing her nose and bright eyes.

"Hello." Kyle said.  He nodded to her.  

Serena tucked her wet hair behind her ear and looked down, blushing.  She glanced back up and noticed his hand outstretched to her. "I won't hurt you." He said in a low voice.  His voice sounded like music to Serena.  She slowly lifted her arm out of the water and reached up, grasping his hand.

"Hi." She said in her soft soprano.

Kyle released her hand and Serena slightly wished he hadn't.

"I'm Kyle." He said, "Can I know your name?"

Serena hesitated a moment and Kyle spoke once again, "You don't have to tell me.  I was just wanting to know so I can call you by your real name."

Serena sighed, loving the sound of his voice.  "Serena.  My name is Serena."

"Well, Serena, I know you're probably unhappy, considering, but is there anything I can do for you?  To make things any more comfortable?"

A number of retorts popped into her mind.  She sighed, shoving them aside, "When do I get out of this tank?  It's hot, and much too salty for my taste."

Kyle laughed, and Serena's was melted by the heavenly sound of it. "I do apologize, but you won't be moved until the morning."

"Morning..." Serena murmured. "What time of the day is it?"

"It's around 9 now.  The aquarium closes at 7, but the scientists took longer than the owners of the aquarium had anticipated."

"8? 7?  You measure your days in numbers?" Serena asked, utterly confused by the thought of it.

"Well...yeah.  That's how we've always done it."  He pointed to a round object on the wall with ticking hands, "That's a clock, and it measures the time.  I guess you wouldn't have them under water..."

"We tell time by the sun and the moon." Serena explained to him while glancing at the clock.  What a strange object, she thought.

She glanced back at Kyle and noticed him staring at her.  "What?" She said indignantly, rolling her shoulders back.  Kyle smiled, "I always thought mermaids were myths.  I was so wrong..."

"Of course we're real." She bravely poked his shoe that was now hovering right above the water.

"Are there men? Mermen?"  He asked.

Serena resisted the need to roll her eyes, "Are there female humans?"

Kyle threw his hands up, "Okay, okay.  I'm sorry." He grinned.  Serena smiled back.

"You're very easy to talk to, Kyle." Serena murmured, her cheeks blushing slightly.

Kyle smiled, "You too."  Serena held her hand out like she had seen him do and he gently held it.

The door opened in front of them, causing both of them to jump.  Serena jerked her hand out of his and submerged herself beneath the salty waters, effectively ending their conversation.