Midnight Swim

Serena stayed in her cave for the rest of the day.  It was long past closing time for the aquarium and Serena was still in shock.  She felt numb.  It couldn't really be Serah, could it?

How did she find her?  How could she be human? An even better question than that is how could she be involved with Kyle?

Serena shook her head slowly, her blond hair swirling around her face, No.  There's just no way it could possibly be her sister.  There had been a glare on the tank, and she was shocked Kyle had taken his day off to see her.  That must have been the reason her head had gone fuzzy, right?

A loud splash broke Serena's train of thought and she shot up nearly hitting her head. Her blue eyes widened.  What on Earth could that be?

Her tank was lit, even at night, so Serena cautiously swam out of her cave to see what was going on.  She slipped through the tunnel and thick seaweed.  She brushed her hair back behind her ears   and glanced towards the platform at the surface of her tank and she slowly rose up to the top.

Kyle?

Her head emerged from the water and her heart stopped.  No, it wasn't Kyle.

"Serah?" She asked, breathless.

A girl with shoulder-length blond hair wearing a simple white dress looked down at her.  Her blue eyes matched Serena's and a thin, silver chain with a single pearl attached, wrapped around her neck.

It was her.

"Serah." Serena flicked her tail and flung herself towards the platform. "Serah!"

Serah nodded and stayed quiet as tears streamed down her face.  She collasped to her knees and covered her face with her hands, "Serena.." she murmured.

Serena pulled herself onto the platform as her tail stayed in the water. She reached out her arms and Serah collapsed into them, openly sobbing.

All thoughts of Kyle faded from Serena's mind as she watched her sister cry. "Sshh." She murmured. "It's all going to be okay."

Serah's dry hands wrapped around Serena and she buried her face in her shoulder. "Sister...I've f-finally found you."

"Yes you have, and I'm not going anywhere, Serah." Serena felt a warm tear fall down her own cheek.  She had missed her sibling so much.  She hugged her tighter and then held her out at arms length.  Serah hastily wiped her eyes and then looked up at her sister, "I'm so sorry about that day...it was all my fault.  If only I had listened to you."

"It's okay.  We're here, we're both safe.  Everything is going to be alright."  Serena paused, "So how did you actually get IN here?"

Serah giggled quietly and held up her wrist where a small bracelet and key were fastened to it. "I think you saw me with him today.  His name is-"

"Kyle." Serena closed her eyes and bit her lip.  She shook her head, and forced a smile, 'Yeah I know, him."

Serah shrugged.  "This nice couple drove me back to their home when I first left the ocean, and then they told me that they'd help me get my own place as long as I 'went back to school'."  Serah frowned, "I guess they thought I was some runaway or drop-out, or something..I just kept quiet and listened to them.  They got me their old, little one bedroom condo right on the shore.  It's fantastic and all I have to do is go to class."

"And how long have you been doing this?" Serena questioned.

Serah looked up, "Well, they found me pretty shaken up not too long after I left the water, and it wasn't long before they basically gave me their condo.  About as long as you've been here, I'd say."

"You're very lucky." Serena said seriously, "I'm so glad you're here and all, but you put yourself in a lot of danger."

"No more than it is in the ocean." Serah said honestly, "As long as everyone knows I'm only a human, things above the water are actually really normal.  I like it here."

"And you like Kyle too, right?" Serena couldn't keep the venom out of her voice.

Serah widened her eyes, startled, "What? Where'd you get that from, Rena?  I only got to know the guy because he worked here.  I overheard him talking with his buddies about a mermaid at the aquarium.  So, that's when I started plotting on how I was going to get you out of here.  All it took was a few conversations and dinner."

Serena gazed into Serah's innocent blue eyes.  She really was telling the truth.  "I'm sorry.." she whispered, "I just know that Kyle has feelings for you.  Or at least that's what he told me." 

Serah's eyes gazed into hers, "But you care for him, don't you, Sister?"

Serena shook her head hastily, "I got carried away in one of my made-up fantasies.  I could never be with a human."

Serah frowned, "I'm sorry.  I didn't know any of that was going on.  But you have to believe me that there's no feelings there.  At least on my part."

Serena grabbed her sisters shoulders and wrapped her arms around them, "I believe you.  Sorry I acted rudely.  I'm just really glad to be reunited with you,  Serah."

Serah smiled and shook out of her sisters reach, she stood up and motioned towards the water, "Ready for a swim?" She quietly dove into the water.  The water glowed almost instantly and the light vanished almost as quickly as it came.  Serah popped her head up from the water.  She tossed her soaked dress onto the platform.

Serena laughed out loud, an almost hysterical cry, "Yeah." She slid into the water and flicked her tail, diving under.

-----------------

Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!  Sweet reunion wasn't it?

 I created a facebook page and will be uploading updates, when you can expect new chapters, and pictures of the characters!<3

Go like it!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermaid-Blues/412555148840987?fref=ts