Chapter 24

And just like that, it was over.

Max pulled away and buried his face in his knees as you attempted to process what had just happened.

Did he just kiss me?!

You were overwhelmed with emotions. Surprise, happiness, love, they were all flooding you and you didn't know how you would cope. It was cheesy, but it felt like the best moment of your life.

You turn to Max with a cheery grin and notice he's still looking away, both hands gripping the grass.

You hesitate before placing your hand on his.

"I like you too."

He slowly looks up, eyes wide and puffy, and gives you an uncertain stare. A tear runs down his cheek and his gaze drops to the floor, where he notices your hand touching his.

"You—" he says, his voice quivering. He was choking up, and his tears were consuming him.

"Y-You actually-" His hands begin to shake mildly.

Moving closer, you watch as Max's tears become more frequent. Pulling him into a warm embrace, his sobs begin to dial down.

"..You actually..l-like me..?"

You look down at his turquoise eyes and smile.

"I do. I really, really, do."

He sniffles.

"J-Jesus Christ, this is gonna sound so stupid.." He nervously laughs and wipes his eyes with his sleeve - his body still slightly shaking. It took some guts to be able to do that, and the fact that you reciprocated his feelings made him uneasy. He wasn't expecting it, but he was so, so relieved.

"I honestly t-thought you were into Harrison, or something..Y—You even kissed him, and..I thought I didn't even have a chance—" His voice quivers again and you pull him closer.

Throughout this whole time, you were freaking out. Your whole face was all shades of pink, and you didn't know how to react.

But you had to keep it cool for Max.

So you could show him it was okay.

Your hands touch again and Max looks up at you, blushing like there's no tomorrow.

"Crybaby." You whisper jokingly as your hands interlock.

"S-Shut up."

And then there was silence.

But it was good silence.

A consoling silence, one that made you ease. One that made you feel at peace. It brought you back to the times when everything was simple. Before you realised the truth about the world and it's cruel nature.

You sat there for a moment, both hands interlocked - just looking up at the sky. The starry, illuminated sky.

 The starry, illuminated sky

"Max?"

His gaze shifts towards you.

"Y-Yeah?"

"I love you."

"Oh my god, don't make this weird."

"..But you love me too, right?"

"..."

    "Umm, yeah.."

"..But don't tell anyone I said that. If you do, you're dead."

"Okay, Max."

❤️