Chapter 11

You woke up that day with a sinking feeling. You didn't have any dreams that night - well, at least you don't remember having any. Pinching your nose, your mind wanders back to what happened yesterday.

Oh, that's right.

You saved Max from drowning, and then nearly drowned yourself.

What an eventful day that was.

You hop off of your bed, eager to start the day. According to Neil, today was the day you would escape - and even though you didn't know exactly how you were going to pull it off, you were all going to make an attempt anyways. Walking over to the entrance of the tent, you hesitate before opening it.

How were you going to pull this off..?

Suddenly, the sound of someone talking outside catches your attention. The soft voice of David makes you wonder what time it was. Opening the tent, you notice the group of kids all huddled around him. 

"Oh, Y/n! You're finally awake! Come, we're about to explain today's activity!"

Reluctantly, you go and stand at the back of the crowd - eager to find out what you would be doing for today.

"Yesterday, Preston proposed an amazing idea! Would you care to explain, Preston?"

A young boy whose name was supposedly 'Preston' walked over to the front of the crowd and cleared his throat.

"Tonight, we will all be performing a brand new play!"

As if it were right on cue, everyone grunted.

"Due to the..inconveniences..that happened the last time I hosted a play, we'll be performing a brand new version of Romeo and Juliet! But, fear not, my fellow peers - this time, the roles will be switched! David, would you please read out the roles?"

David fiddled with his hands before pulling out a piece of paper.

"W-well, it says here that Friar Lawrence will be played by..Neil."

You turned your head towards Neil, who gives you a worried look before whispering "phew."

You shuffle over, and lean towards him.

"What's this about?"

"We had a Romeo and Juliet play not too long ago. Let's just say..it didn't go well." Neil said, fiddling with his thumbs.

"Are we still gonna do the escape plan?"

Neil pat his pocket, to which you look down and see the keys from earlier barely hanging out.

"We might have to reschedule it for tonight - since that's when everyone will be at the theatre. We could use that time to run while they're not looking and make our great escape."

Sounds good—

"Y/n."

Hmm?

You turn your head back to the front and see David staring straight at you.

"Did your hear me? I said you were going to be Juliet."

"O-oh, okay.."

Why did I have to be Juliet?

"Who's Romeo?" You say, tilting your head. David looks down at his paper and gulps.

"Umm..it's.."

Who?

"..Harrison."

..oh...Harrison?..okay..

..I guess it's not too bad.

You look around, and see Harrison staring straight at you. He seemed to be red in the face - and when he saw you looking at him, he quickly diverted his attention to the floor.

Odd.

Eventually, your mind wanders back to Max.

Wait, where was he, anyways? You could clearly see Nikki and Neil, but Max was nowhere in sight. Quietly, you shift towards Neil again.

"Where's Max?"

He turns towards you.

"Probably still sleeping."

..oh.

"Well, everyone! Now that we have the roles, we can assign the scripts!" 

David begins to hand out a few pieces of paper to everyone, and eventually hands you yours.

"I know you haven't done a play before, but I thought that it'd be good to test your abilities while you're here. I hope you don't mind."

"Why would I mind?"

Your eyes drifted across the paper and eventually fixated on one of the lines.

'Kiss scene'.

Wait..

What?!