Chapter 4

You both walk in silence as you make your way towards the tents. It was already pretty awkward - because you breached Max's privacy and all, but the silence made it painfully unbearable. In an effort to strike up a conversation, you tap Max on the shoulder. 

"So, how long have you had Mr. Honeynuts?" You give him a weak smile. Max doesn't reply for a solid 3 seconds, but in the end he murmurs "longer than my parents ever loved me."

Oh, damn.

You didn't really know how to respond to that. Everything he said always made you feel uneasy - like he was going to burst out with anger at any second. But to hear that much negativity even when answering a question..it made you feel pity.

"Don't get all sad about it. They dumped me here, and they're not coming back. I don't care, and I never will. So, neither should you." He shrugs his shoulders.

" He shrugs his shoulders

"They..dumped you here? You mean..they haven't come back since then?" You give him a worried look.

Max doesn't reply. He simply shakes his head and continues to walk. Without a word said, you follow.

By the time you had made it to the tents, the sun had set a little bit. It made you think about David and how he might be worried about the two of you. Needless to say, you should probably hurry up before he gets suspicious.

"This one's my tent." He points to the nearest one, and you give it a firm look.

He unzips the entrance, and pokes his head inside. But quickly, he retreats and gives you a suspicious look.

"You're not going out of my sight. Get in here and wait."

He really was serious about you not telling anyone about this, huh..?

Somewhat unwillingly, you enter Max's tent and see a small living space. There's a bed, a makeshift clothing hangar, and a bit more. Max walks past you and places his bear under his covers. He pats the bear's head, and turns towards you - realising what he just did in front of you.

Sighing, he exclaims "Okay, we should probably get back to the Mess Hall before David thinks we're doing drugs, or something." He begins to exit the tent, but then turns towards you.

"Are you coming?" He says.

"Umm, yeah."

You exit the tent alongside Max and begin making your way back to camp. Out of almost nowhere, he asks you a question.

"So how'd you end up here?"

You shrug. 

"My parents insisted on me going because I'm 'antisocial' and, apparently, I need to make more friends. Honestly, I kinda think they just wanted me out of the house for the summer.." 

Max slightly chuckles, and says "Hmm. So you're not a troublemaker like the rest of us, eh? You sure seem like one."

You slightly smile at his remark.

"Oh, how so?" You say, in a condescending voice.

"You flipped that spoon at David's face with little to no effort just before, remember?"

That was totally an accident, but alright. I guess we're going with the story that I definitely meant to do that. 

"O-oh, right..yeah..he's..so annoying, right?" You nervously laugh. You clearly didn't mean for that spoon-thing to happen, but hey - who cares, right?

"Oh my GOD, don't even get me started on how much I hate that guy. He's literally the main reason I hate this hell-of-a-Camp. He's just so damn cheerful, it's like..he chooses to ignore all of the terrible stuff we all go through every day! Such an idiot." Max's rant makes you slightly confused - as David seemed like a pretty nice guy when you first met him. 

"So you hate him because he's too..cheerful?" You say, slightly confused.

"No, it's because I hate the fact that he's so oblivious to the fact that this world is full of apathetic, no-good assholes! I just want him to understand that this damn place isn't perfect and not everyone is a fun-loving person, you know?"

I mean, I can kinda agree with that, but it's a bit pessimistic for him so say something like that. Then again, it's Max - so..yeah.

You nod in amusement.

Before you know it, you're back at the Mess Hall - and the sun is setting. Just before you enter the Hall, Max turns towards you and taps you on the shoulder.

"You're an alright kid, Y/n. You should come sit with us tomorrow."

And then he smiled.