Mission Plan

Several hours passed, and for some reason I couldn't sleep.

"Stupid Cape Boy,"I muttered. "And Cloakey. And Metal Face. And Green Bean. And Red Head...," I kept ranting, blaming my troubles on the group that had visited me. "If you'd only let me sleep. If you hadn't of come down here to 'question me', I would've been asleep, and everything would have been okay. But no. You had to come check out the traveler."

I huffed, falling back onto the ground.

Maybe I should have gone to Canada instead of leading the Fangs there. Then at least I'd be able to sleep.

I jumped when I heard a knocking noise from above me.

I looked up just as the lid to the pothole was slid open, and down jumped Green Bean and Red Head. I stood up, raising my eyebrows.

"Now what do you want?" I asked them.

Green Bean and Red Head looks at each other uncertainly before turning back to me.

Finally Green Bean sighed, and looked me in the eye. "We want help."

I blinked, and blinked again. "Help?" I asked.

They nodded.

"You want my help? For what?" I crossed my arms and tilted my head, not believing them.

"Well... We've sorta run into a problem," Green Bean said.

I snorted. "I run into 'problems' all the time. You don't see me asking some random person I just met for help."

"Please," Red Head started, "if this were not a real emergency, we would not have bothered you. But this is a big thing, and all of our friends are either busy, or too far way."

I was silent for a minute. Finally, when I thought they were about to explode, I sighed and nodded. "What kind of mission is it?" I asked.

Red Head squealed and I winced. "It is a ball!" She said with glee. "A masquerade!"

I looked up at her in shock. "A masquerade?" I asked.

She nodded.

"I... I don't have a dress," I stated.

Red Head smiled. "That is fine. We are all going going shopping, which is why we came - to ask if you would help, and what kind of dress and mask you would prefer."

"I have a mask," I said, thinking of the small black and silver mask in my duffle that once belonged to my mother. "But I need a dress. Black, floor length will do."

"What does your mask look like?" Red Head asked, and I reached down to my duffle, going through all the pockets until I found a small box. I opened it, and carefully pulled out the century old mask, careful not to spill any of the other jewelry.

It was black, with small silver jewels. When I had it on, it looked as though it was painted upon my face. I hadn't worn in it five years, but there was no dust on it.

Red Head gasped when she saw it, and smiled. "I will find a dress that will be perfect. It will match the mask completely!"

I smiled softly, still gazing at the only thing left of my mother.

I could still remember the day that she had wore it to the ball that the king had held, so many years ago.

"Well... Thanks for the help. We'll come back when we get everything we need to pick you up so you can get ready at our place," Green Bean said, and the two started to make their way back up onto the streets.

"Wait!" I called, and they turned. "I don't even know your names."

Red Head smiled, and Green Bean chuckled.