Chapter 8: THE FIRST DATE

Darry's POV:

"Soda, Pony, dinners ready! Come take a break from your homework," I yell.

I just got home from work a half hour ago and had time to throw together something, before getting ready for my date with Elizabeth. It was weird being the man of the house, and not having anyone to make dinner for me.

I'm so used to finishing school for the day, going straight to football practice, and then to work at the diner. After that, I would get home and dinner would be on the table and ready for me to eat. It's weird making it myself, it's something I've only done a few times in my life.

My brothers came out of their rooms and sat down at the table as I grabbed their plates and put them down. Then, I set the baked chicken in the middle of the table.

"Take whatever you want," I tell them, breaking a leg off. Pony piles his plate, but Soda just sits there.

"Soda? Don't you want to ask?" I ask. He shrugs.

"You feeling ok, little buddy?" I ask him. He shrugs again. I feel his forehead. He doesn't have a fever, but I'm a little worried.

"Whats wrong?" I ask him. He stands up.

"I'm gonna be sick!" He announces, and runs to the bathroom, hand over his mouth. After a few minutes, he's still in there, so I go to check on him. He's sitting on the floor, head dipped into the toilet, coughing and gagging. The poor kid, he didn't even have time to close the door.

"Hey," I say, quietly and sit down next to him. When we were younger and were sick, mom would sit with us and rub our backs until we were done. I did the same thing with him.

"You ok, kiddo?" I ask him when he finished. He nodded, and stands up.

"Why don't you brush your teeth and then go lie down in your room? Elizabeth is gonna be here soon, and I can't have her over with a sick kid lying on the couch."

He nods and hiccups, then drops back onto the floor, making it into the toilet just in time. I sit next to him again, rubbing his back soothingly.

Suddenly, something occurs to me.

"Soda, how many of those brownies did you eat?" I ask him.

I had made brownies last night for my date with Elizabeth, I figured I could bring them with wherever we go. He looks up for a minute.

"...All of them?" He admits. I laugh a little.

"Soda, I made those for my date!"

He sighs and says, "Sorry," very quietly.

"It's ok, kid," I say, and help him up. He brushes his teeth, and walk with him into his room.

"Call me if you need anything, ok?" I say, and tuck him in. He nods.

"Feel better," I say, and kiss his forehead.

"Now get some sleep," I tell him, and close his door. Now to get ready for my date, I think to myself.

Elizabeth's POV:

"Hey, Darry!" I say, walking into his house.

"Hi, Elizabeth. I thought I was picking you up," he says. He hugs me, and I've never felt more at home in my life.

"Yeah, but my mom was in the neighborhood and offered to take me," I explain. He nods, understanding.

"So, where are we going?" I ask, excitedly. I know what happened with his parents yesterday, he called me crying, and I had to calm him down. It was weird, I've never heard or seen a man cry, and I think it broke me. I've never felt so bad about anything.