Chapter 2 - The beginning

They came at night. I was awoken by a loud banging and my mother bursting into my room.

"What-" i started

"No! We need to leave, Now!" She shouted throwing an old rucksack which was flung over my chair

"Why?"

"I can't tell you right now! Now pack the bag!" she said it harshly, and normally i would be angry bur the look in her eyes scared me. So I obeyed her without any further questions... mainly because she was scaring me so much. 

Suddenly there was a very loud bang and a burst of red light

"Forget it!" she yelled, running in from the other room "come on!" she pulled me by the arm over to the window. i looked out over the two story drop that ended invitingly with a a row of muddy hedges. I turned back to look at her in shock. "Just JUMP" She yelled

I sighed angrily and climbed out of the window.

BANG!

Another explosion, closer. Without looking back I jumped as swiftly as i could, crashing onto my not-so-soft landing pad. There was a thud behind me and i turned to see my mother land gracefully. She pulled me roughly across the hotel car park and over to our beat up old car, then suddenly stopped and looked down.

"FLAT TIRE!" She hissed angrily.

"Can't you do a spell?" i asked, exhaspirated by our look- or lack thereof

"No, not with-"

She stood up quickly and spun around. There were five men standing in a line in front of us

"Give us the child!" One in front rasped, his face completely hidden from view by the shadow of his hood, for a second i thought i saw glowing red eyes, but as soon as i focussed- they were hidden again.

My mother pushed me behind her "Never" she growled. I hardly recognised her voice, I shuddered.

"Then we will take her!" They hissed. 

Suddenly, i was on the ground behind the car, bright lights were flashing in front of me. There was a loud smack and someone pulled me up by my hair. I screamed. 

"Got her!" the man yelled, his putrid breath so close to my face making me gag. I tried to get free but he just pulled even harder on my hair. Then, my mother was in front of us and with a single blow knocked the guy who was holding me out. My mother apperated with me in her arms, and we were suddenly in the middle of a snowy Field.

"w-w-where a-a-are we?" i shivered

"Surrey. England." I stared at her, shocked- we never came to England

"What's going on mum?" She studied me for a second, then pulled a huge book out of her bag "This will explain everything."

"But why can't you tell me?" i yelled, scared- my voice shaking

She smiled at me sadly and turned around. There was a man standing there, She slowly walked over to him. I tried to follow... but couldn't move. The man held up his wand and mum quickly turned to look at me. Our eyes met...

RUN! get to safety. When you're clear, open the book, it will tell you all you need to know... just don't let anyone get it unless you trust them. Follow your heart...I love you."

I was shocked at the silent message.She gave me a sad smile, a tear glittering in the moonlight then turned around and was consumed with a green light.

I ran.