Blood Paint

Our family is full of artists and creative people. My wife was a professional painter and I was a graphic designer myself. Both of our jobs were in the creative industry. We also have a daughter. Her name is Jill. We didn't know why, but the name stuck with us for a long time. Now she is 6 and just started her first year at primary school. She had some difficulties getting along with other children, but that's normal. Every day when we pick her up from school she shows us her drawings. As parents it made us proud. She means the world to us. But today I got mail from the school she was on. It was her teacher who mailed me about Jill.

•••

Dear Mr. Anderson,

Jill had shown some weird behavior for the last couple of days. Is there something going on at home? I would like to plan a meeting soon to talk about this. I am concerned.

Kind regards,

Mrs. Greenwoods
•••

That mail wasn't what was bothering me. No. It was the fact that she, as a primary school teacher, was concerned. Why you may ask? She gets along with children all the time! She knows what is normal and what isn't. My wife was at work so I called her up. Telling her about the mail from Mrs. Greenwoods. She told me not to worry that much. And I just repeated with "I will". So after school when I would pick up my beloved daughter, I asked Mrs. Greenwoods if the meeting could take place right now. And luckily that was alright. She guided me to her classroom and got another chair. I thanked her and sat down on the other side of her desk. She intertwined her fingers and looked at me with that one concerned look. I gulped in silence.

"So, Mr. Anderson. We have to talk about Jill"

"Ask me anything you want to know"

"Well, how is she at home? Ever seen how she was around with other children?"

"Oh, well. She is always playful, loves to play with her crayons and with mister Bunny. I try my best to make spare time to play outside. One day I am able to go outside for thee hours while the other day I only have half an hour. Its just how many customers I have"

She hummed and looked like she wasn't even paying attention. It felt like high school all over again. When the teacher would blame you for that one accident that was caused by your friend.

"What are the types of drawings that she makes?"

"All sorts of things. Nature, family, school. Wait, I have some in my bag I think"

My hands reached out for my bag. And I was indeed right. I pulled some out of one of the cabinets and layed them on the desk. Happy colors. Happy flowers. Happy faces. It just made you smile at how sweet it was. But the teacher looked confused.

"Is there something Mrs. Greenwoods?"

I asked the teacher politely.

"Are you sure she made this?"

I chuckled. Not being able to take that question seriously. And she just looked at me without a single chuckle or sound that could lead to that.

"Of course she made that! I got more at home. The fridge is covered in those colorful drawings"

I told her with a glistening smile on my face. The teacher reached out to one of the cabinets under her desk. And she got some drawings out.