Chapter 59 - Our Forever

As I stood inside this golden dome, I soon realised that all sound from outside had been shut out completely. All I could hear was the gentle sound of Nelly's feet against the withered grass as she came towards me.

Bedlam was incapacitated, writhing far off in the distance. Only time would tell for how long the beast could be kept at bay.

Our allies were in the opposite direction, also far away and a little tough to make out.

It was just the two of us, standing alone together in the middle of this battlefield.

The golden light that had been surrounding Nelly's body had trickled away into the golden walls around us, and she stood before me as human and as vulnerable as anyone. Her face was fighting to smile, but the heartbreak in her eyes and her trembling hands sent shivers down my spine.

"What's wrong...?" I stepped forward. "Are you ok?"

"...Toby...!" She shook her head and ran straight into my arms, burying her face in my chest and squeezing my shirt tight.

"H-hey... Hey..." I held her, my own heart racing. I didn't like this. Something was gravely off.

"I love you." She breathed.

"I love you too..."

"I've always loved you." She looked up, and I saw tears streaming down her face.

"Nelly... What is it...? What's wrong...?"

"I... I'm so thankful for everything... For everything you..." Her voice got snagged.

"N-Nelly...? Why are you talking like that...? Stop it..." I swallowed. "You're making it sound like you're not gonna see me again..." I tried to laugh light-heartedly, but I found that it hurt me to even attempt it. Nelly looked up at me and her face twisted in pain, as if the sight of me was hurting her.

"Honey...?"

"...I have to end this..." She swallowed, her fingers fidgeting restlessly, trying to find the right place to settle on my arms. "I can't let this go on..."

"Bedlam?" I asked.

"...Yeah... I can wipe it out completely. I can save everyone – save you..." She said, avoiding my eyes as her tone of voice sunk lower.

Something sickly washed over me as we stood in the golden haven. A realisation that made my stomach churn and my lungs cave in. She had Arceus' power, and the ability to wipe Bedlam out – but she hadn't done it yet for a reason. And for all her tears, and the way she was desperately feeling my arms as if trying to memorise every inch, I came to understand her hesitation. To carry out such a task wasn't as simple as it sounded. In reality, it would extract a heavy toll – and as soon as I figured it out, I knew that it wasn't a toll I would be willing to pay.

"No." I said, the breath escaping from my lips as a shudder ricocheted down my spine.

"Huh...?" She looked up.

"No!" I pulled her in and squeezed her tight, jamming my eyes shut as tears began to well up. "No! You're not doing it! There's another way – there has to be another way!"

"T-Toby-"

"NO!" I yelled, nestling my face into her hair, my voice trembling. "You can't...!"

"...But if I don't..." Nelly got as close as she possibly could. "I could lose you... I-I won't let that happen... I can't..."

"But you'll die!" I shook my head.

"I... I-I know..." Her body shook violently in my arms. "B-but... But... I..."