Chapter 11 - Brewing Storm

After breakfast and before training started the next morning, we were all called into the main hall by Coach Kudou. There was a large box on the floor beside him that Darragh had just cut open at the top.

"After the draw, I was given this by members of the tournament committee." Kudou said, nodding towards the box. "These are your uniforms for our matches. There are quite a few spares, with long and short-sleeve varieties depending on what you prefer."

"Oh, cool!" Yu was suddenly excited.

"I hope they look good." Hikaru smiled.

"I shan't be best pleased with a gaudy colour." Midorima crossed his arms.

Kudou reached into the box and grabbed a shirt. He held it up for all of us to see.

It was a cool, deep blue colour, with ventilation in the sides to help on hot days. The back of it had our team name, 'Aegis', presented clearly in a light gold font, not too overbearing, but perfectly neat below the neck, much like a sports shirt would display a player's name. Our team crest, on the left-hand side on the front of the shirt, was a small yet magnificently detailed golden shield that looked like it could ward off any attack. At its core was an emerald-coloured jewel, rectangular with two small triangular protrusions spaced evenly just above the centre. Of course, the crest was entirely stitched, but the detail was so incredible that the image of a legendary shield was clear as day.

"Whoa..." Victor marvelled.

"It looks awesome!" Yu punched the air.

"Happy?" Shu smiled at Midorima.

"Not bad." He admitted.

"There's also white shorts, black trousers or skirts of either colour." Kudou said. "So, come and pick out your uniforms and try them on before we start today's training."

Several of us went all at once, and there was a few seconds of confusion as things were sorted out.

"Hey, Midorima." Hikaru reached into the box. "Want a skirt?" She joked, pulling one out.

"An interesting proposition, but I'll pass." He said, completely cool. Victor, Carmello and a few others let out a chuckle.

"How about you, Caleb?" She offered.

"I'm good." He frowned and turned away, his uniform already in his hands.

I went through the box and found a long-sleeve shirt and pair of black trousers, which were made of a soft, light and comfortable material that would also account for heat.

"Ooh, how does it look?" Zhang asked Caleb, who had changed his shirt right there in the hallway.

"Turn around and let us see!" Yu said excitedly.

"Tch..." Caleb pulled the short-sleeved shirt down and turned, arms folded.

"Nice." Victor nodded.

"I could get used to it." Mira agreed.

"If you're done staring." Caleb turned away and walked off towards the stairs.

*

After everyone had checked that their uniforms fitted and put them away, we made our way outside to begin training. After about an hour, Nelly came over to tell me that my training with Grovyle had allowed our average bond level to rise to about 15%, according to Xene, who was constantly monitoring our progress.

"Well, it's an improvement on twelve percent." I wiped my forehead as Grovyle struggled to his feet, once again knocked out of our connection.

"I knew you were getting better." Shu smiled, still bonded to his Delphox.