Chapter 46 - The Phoenix Rises

"Whoa... Is this what Midorima was talking about...?" Shu marvelled at the expanse of stars all around him. "Shaymin, what is this...?"

The little Gratitude Pokemon had turned into a ball of green light that was hovering in front of the boy. "You did it, Shu. You're ready to take my full power."

"So, you really weren't like all the others' Pokemon." Shu gave a weak smile. "You didn't come to me because I was worthy – but because I was upset..."

"Yes and no." Shaymin replied. "Yes, because you were upset. But I always sensed a 'worthiness' in you. You're a lot like me – quiet, and shy... But just now, seeing you get up and be brave, I knew I made the right choice."

"Brave? I don't know about that..." Shu-ling scratched his head.

"It's true. You hate speaking to people – but you ran all the way to this room, where you don't know any of the scientists, and offered your help just like that! I'm proud of you!"

"Well, I... I couldn't have done it without Midorima..." He laughed. "And my friends back home. Remembering them made me feel some kind of peace... And I don't want those sisters to get hurt. If I'm in a position to somehow prevent them from suffering, then I... I have to do it! I owe them my life – I can't run anymore!"

The meek boy's fists were clenched, and within his somewhat skinny frame was a heart that burned – a fire set by his saviours and rekindled by Midorima's kindness.

"I'm with you, Shu!" Shaymin cheered. "Your gratitude fuels you, and you desperately want to repay it by fighting Bedlam! You could've never done it before, but look at you now! We will win, Shu – I promise. I'll give you everything I have, and together, we'll soar high!"

"I'd like that." Shu nodded.

"All right! Now, we've got a job to do that only we can do! Let's go!"

The green light hit Shu's chest and pulsed throughout his entire body.

"I'll do my best... Let's do it. For real this time! SHAYMIN!"

*

The scientists shielded their eyes as the Taiwanese boy's body emitted an impressive light that washed over the room. When it subsided, Shu was standing there with a determined stare, his fists clenched.

Down by his side was a small, white reindeer-like creature with a green mohawk and and lower legs. It had long white ears and tufts of white fur on its neck, as well as a stumpy white tail. A magnificent red flower petal came from the left side of its neck, swaying gently like a scarf in the breeze.

Shu's renewed resolve had allowed his bond with Shaymin to fully manifest, and the Gratitude Pokemon had adopted its Sky Forme.

"Hah..." Shu looked at his partner in disbelief. "You look so cool..."

"Same to you." Shaymin grinned.

"Incredible..." The scientist who Shu had spoken to before was in awe.

"Sir, can you open the skylight?" Shu-ling asked, pointing to the windows far up in the ceiling.

"You're really going to do this?" He looked back at the large pink ball and then back to Shu and Shaymin.

"Yes. We have to – it's the only way." He nodded. "How high up does it need to be dropped from?"

"Well..." The man looked up through the window. The dark, ominous cloud that was the portal spewing Bedlam's spawn could be seen, tainting the pure sky. "About as high as that." He pointed to it.

"...All right..." Shu nodded, picking up the large shield ball. When dropped from high enough, it would open and expand to cover the entire complex. Usually a routine and safe operation, Bedlam's sudden appearance meant that the fastest way would be for Shu and Shaymin to carry it up themselves.