Chapter One

AN: Hello everyone and welcome to Chapter One of Heart of Radiance! We're going to get right into Gabriel's head and then switch gears. Hope you all enjoy! Be sure to drop some comments as you read! Now onward and forward to Chapter One!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

*Gabriel*

I woke up to my phone ringing. I groaned and reached for it. I grabbed it off of my night table and glanced down at the screen. A FaceTime request from Selena Drake. I smiled. My sister in law had checked in often over the past few weeks. I accepted her request and smiled when Julian's face appeared on screen.

"Hey little man," I greeted my nephew.

Julian squealed with delight when he saw me.

I smiled. It had been a few weeks since I'd last seen Julian in person, but Selena and Damien had made sure to include their son in video chats, so I got to see him at least.

"Julian, is that my phone?" I heard a familiar voice ask. The camera shifted and soon Selena's face came into view as she held the phone in her hands, taking it away from Julian. "Hi Gabe," she greeted me, "Sorry about that. Did he wake you?"

"Yes, but it's fine Lena," I assured her, "I was going to get up soon anyway."

I saw Julian reach for the phone and pout when he realized he couldn't reach it. My nephew was very expressive it seemed.

Selena and I chuckled at Julian's cute expression.

"He really misses you," Selena told me, "Any idea when you'll be back?"

"None whatsoever," I replied.

"Why'd they even summon you?" Selena asked.

"Tatiana's crown is being threatened by her sister, Nysa," I told Selena, "Tatiana's asked me to mediate between them. She wants a peaceful resolution."

"It's great that you're doing that, but you'll be missing Star's wedding," Selena told me.

"I know," I sighed, "It's in a couple of days right?"

"Yeah," Selena replied before turning to Julian, "She's really excited."

"Most brides usually are," I replied.

Selena smiled.

"I didn't know I was speaking to Stefan Drake," she smirked. I rolled my eyes. "In all seriousness though, what are you going to do?" she asked.

I sighed.

"I don't know," I admitted, "I need more information before I decide. So I'll probably hit the books and do some research."

"Good idea," Selena agreed.

"Selena!" I heard a voice call out.

Selena sighed.

"That's Star," she told me, "I'd better go."

"We'll talk again soon," I told her. She nodded. "Bye Julian," I told my nephew. He waved at me, and a smile spread across my face.