Chapter 6

I pace nervously on the sidewalk in front of the school and hope Carol will see me. I glance down nervously at my watch. It is 6:26 and the game starts at 6:30. Then I see her walking down the street with wild red hair and a red fall jacket and flare jeans and smile at my new friend. I wave to her, gesturing for her to get over here because the game is starting soon. She starts running towards me and I say to her "Are you ready?" "Yea!" She says enthusiastically and we start running to the football field and bleachers. The crowd is bustling in the bleachers and there is excited chatter all around. It is a cool night, but not cold. Carol picks up tickets for the both of us and we look for a place to sit in the crowded bleachers. When I breathe out, I can almost see my breath. The smell of stadium food fills the air and the night is glowing with anticipation.

I get us a quick coffee from the concession stand and we make our way over to the bleachers.

Once we sit down,the game is on immediately and I look over to see if Carol is enjoying herself. Her eyes are wide, with excitement and anticipation. I smile at my new friend and watch our school kill lthe other guys. Not that I care. Really, I'm doing this for Carol. So she doesn't feel lonely. So she feels like she has a friend in I don't know how long of a time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the game, Carol and I are chatting and joking and laughing and are on such a caffeine rush it's unbelievable. We are chattering a hundred miles a minute and we are giggling like complete morons. I really don't know why my new school has to make such a big deal out of homecoming. But it is still a fun day where the whole town gets together and there is a parade, fall festival, a bunch of football games, and a big bonfire to top it all off. Carol and I have really enjoyed ourselves and once we say goodbye and part, I start to walk home as I hear someone call my name from behind me.

            I know that voice. It's Judie's. I stop dead in my tracks, frozen in a silent panic. "Yeah, you, loser. Get your butt over here. Now." I want to run, I want to hide but I can't. So all I do is just stand there. In fear for my life, I turn around slowly and face her fearfully. I slowly begin to walk over to her, carefully placing my steps as if I am crossing a bridge high over steep canyons. She smirks and I just look her straight in the face, trying to hide my fear. She says "How would you like if I offer you the chance to be on the cheer leading team?" I stand motionless and expressionless although my mind is thinking a thousand miles a minute and the only clear thought I can think about is "Seriously? That's what this is about? She's not going to drag me behind the school by my hair and repeatedly punch me in the throat?" Apparently, she is not pleased by the length if the time I take to answer and frowns impatiently and shouts in my face "WELL?" Im suddenly snapped out of my thoughts and I say "I don't know. Uhm... Maybe I, uh, am not s-sure." Now she is clearly unpleased by my answer and pushes me up against the football field fence and I go flying backward and the back of my head starts stinging with pain and my ears are ringing and I can't breathe I am shaking so badly. She has me pinned to the fence and nobody cares. I feel tears roll down my cheek and she just smiles this crooked, evil smile and says "Oh, what's wrong? Ya know, I wasn't actually going to let you on the team. It was just a test. You're just like I thought" she sneered. " you haven't changed a bit since the last time I saw you. Youre still  just a coward, little mindless shy loser freak who c-" I cut her off mid sentence and slap her as hard as I can across the face.

She looks up and smiles wickedly. She touches her cheek gingerly and it is turning bright red.

        "Here's my chance." I think to myself and bolt out of her grasp and start running full force. I can hear her footsteps slap the pavement and I hear her getting closer. Instead, I veer right to my street and she yells "You can't get away from this! I'll find you!" I keep running and don't look back. I am breathing heavily and I am shaking so much I feel I might fall down. It is getting late by now and I seriously wish I had brought a jacket. The trees sway in the wind, showing off their dead and dying leaves. The night is mysterious and I suddenly feel uncomfortable walking alone.

   I get home and slam  the door behind me  and slide my back against the wall landing on the floor with a loud "Thud." I sigh and stare up at the ceiling in frustration and when I look down, my mother apears out of no where and makes me jump.

   She is standing, staring at me and she does not look happy. At all. She shouted "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? I WAS WORRIED SICK! YOU SKIP CLASS AND THEN YOU COME HOME HOURS LATER WITHOUT TELLING ME! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?" I cringed. She gets mad, but she never gets this mad. "Mama." I said timidly. "I'm sorry. I met a friend. And we went and watched the homecoming game." I hung my head and began to stomp away to my room and she said "Stop. Come here. Please."  I hesitantly turn and face her in the kitchen and expect to get a lecture about  responsibility like when I get  in trouble. "I - I'm sorry. I have been really stressed out lately that's all." I smiled. I can't stay mad at her. I  give her a hug and tell her about my night and she doesn't seem so mad anymore. I kiss her goodnight  and brush my teeth and get to bed. I think of Carol and think about my night as I drift off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AN: Hey people! Phew that was a long chapter, ey? Sorry about that. Make sure you keep on voting, following and tell your friends about my book! Thanks!
-Shannon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~