the non-logic of following members of wp

lately, especially, i have given this quite some thought. the reason i would decide to follow, is one of the following (to me, roughly in order of importance):

1. purely because i like someone very much: they do not have to read me, follow me or keep constant contact

2. i like someone's writing: there is like and there is like and there is like. there is also respecting someone's talent so much and liking them as well, is just that extra bonus. a few poets who post here are really excellent and i think this is just a platform for them. they do not interact with others. that is fine by me, i am not precious, haha!

3. loyalty and kindness to loyalty and kindness: some readers are so kind, so consistent in reading, go to such lengths to read and comment even if i do not do the same, that i want to follow them and get to know their taste and writing.

4. to find interesting reading material through what someone reads: (this is actually what made me write this piece) i love reading new writers (new to me, anyway. strangers, so to speak, that i normally do not interact with on here). i have always gone to lengths to avoid reading ONLY certain readers, all the time. it is easy to pick up on those who only return reads and there is nothing wrong with that. it seems that very few people go out of their way to look for new writing and i think this is my small problem. i cannot find what the people that i follow, are reading. or rather, i can see in my newsfeed what they are reading, but it is not leading me to any writing that is really new. in fact, of the nearly two hundred people i follow, only some are reasonably active in any way. some are prose writers and i seldom read prose here, though there are exceptions. i try to keep the group i follow, manageable, but i may have to expand. or something. and then the activity bar is also gone now, a real pity. i used to work through the 'new' list, but that can be very time consuming. i know some of my followers follow me where i read if they see something that interests them. i cannot imagine a better compliment to me. so thank you, those that do, i love it!

5. i like following the odd person for none of the above reasons, curiosity only, hoping to be surprised: if i see an interesting userpic or comment, i sometimes go and have a look and just  follow them. if they are not active, i unfollow after a while.

6. unfollowing: i have no trouble unfollowing people and i have never unfollowed them maliciously. when i do, it is merely a strategic/logistic thing. there are some people i will never unfollow, no matter how long they have been gone from wp.

i am just putting my thoughts in order. i want to try and be more active on here and it is going to take some effort. thank you for being a sounding board.

and thank you. just for everything, you know?

seasofme210919