something so slightly dante

a radio station decided to have a 'vinyl' day and i had forgotten about it until i switched on the radio at five-thirty a.m. the dj said that there would be some info on each song as well as some personal tales from employees at the radio station on why they chose to play the songs that they did. (each dj would play their choice of vinyl during the hours of their show and i want to mention here, that this album came up twice during the day, quite something considering the the variety of people and tastes) listeners were invited a while back to email vinyl song titles for this exercise. suddenly i was very excited for the day that lay ahead. this was going to be precious, i just knew it.

i'm no chris de burgh fan. like i am no james blunt fan (to me they sound alike, if you know what i mean). but. but. but. there are certain songs that speak to my soul and chris de burgh happens to have composed and sung one such song. it is called 'spanish train' and the album is called 'spanish train & other stories'. i know this album was banned in my country, long ago, probably because of a song called 'patricia the stripper' and also for the content of the title song ( i know, i know...but this was pre madiba and the rainbow nation). while the dj spoke of the album and the title song that he was about to play, i was preparing to go to work, and in warm and eager anticipation of the song which, unfortunately they could not find on vinyl, apparently. (later the same day i read on wikipedia that the album was indeed a rare thing and now i wonder whether i am the owner of a fortune) he continued to say that it was one of the best songs and music he had ever heard (i have a very healthy respect for his life time in music experience) and how naughty he and his cousins felt when they were twelve and snuck into their uncle's room to listen to this banned album that told of a stripper who was accused of appearing naked in public and a judge who ruled that she was in her working clothes and free to go and a very controversial (at the time, i guess) poker game that takes place for ever and ever, amen. i am sure i was smiling and nodding, or something... and then the song started playing.

from the very first bars of that acoustic guitar to his last passionate concern about the souls lost, i was once more riveted. like i always was, every single time, like i know i always will be. the words are so well chosen and the nuances so incredibly well tuned. the devil is such a smooth gambler. there is so much to think about. again. still. i just sat down and listened, i could not tear myself away from that song. lately i'm all into goosebumps and, dear heaven, they were exquisite for every second of those five minutes. on my way to work in the taxi, i decided to post this. the experience moved me so! i was so happy that it did and even happier that i had a vehicle for what i felt, how could i not write something, something!? i wanted people to hear this song! and i wanted to dedicate it to the one person who came to mind the nano second that i heard that intro. he ought to adore it, if i know anything at all about him, if he does not already love it.

the lyrics are below. they are very important, they make the song what it is. this whole album is a dream come true to anyone who loves music, it is a desert island album. if chris de burgh never sang another note in his life, i would be fine with it; i would have known the best from him anyway.

i would also like to tag some people to write about a song that impacted their lives for its sheer brilliance and the effect it has had on them for no reason other than it smacked them hard over the head. i would love to read about that... there is truly nothing on this earth quite like music. nothing. i think we all feel that way. and that makes me so happy i can burst.