Chapter 4

"What!" I screamed in Damon's ear. They can't take me away! I have to finish senior year! I have so many clubs and activities! I can't just pick up and leave!

"This is not up for conversation, Julie. We must go. You will be the Luna of our pack." Damon said in a clipped tone. My life was flashing before me. I started to make a mental list of everything I still had to do before I left, but soon gave up after it exceeded ten things.
Behind us, I could hear the alpha getting up off of the ground. He groaned as he stood, and shook himself like a wet dog. Unlike before my mates came, I was not one bit scared of the young alpha.

"Come here, Julie. Now," he commanded in his alpha voice. What an idiot. He thinks an alpha command will work on me; didn't he learn this the hard way in school? I sighed and rolled my eyes. The alpha looked slightly taken aback by my actions. I felt Damon tense up along with Dylan. Uh oh, they don't like him trying to tell me what to do. Note to Self: do not upset the twins.

I resisted the command easily, giggling slightly. My mom's dad is an alpha. Grand pappy taught me well. All of the mind blocks and wolf features that ran in my blood. Though, I did have a downside as a wolf.

I had a condition, one I wouldn't ever tell a soul outside of my mom, dad and Libby. I never really tried to figure it out much, I just noticed it one day. It all happened when I fell on my wrist. You'd think, as a wolf, it would only hurt a small amount, and my wrist wouldn't take any damage. Wrong. The bones in my wrist shattered; completely crumpled. I learned to be extra careful in my human form. I couldn't afford to mess myself up badly. But, in wolf form, I'm super strong and resilient. I could probably easily recover from a bullet wound; something wolves can usually do, but with difficulty.

"Whatever! Take your stupid mate! I don't want the dumb bitch anyways!" the alpha yelled as he stormed off. My mates were ready to go after him but I stopped them. It wasn't worth it. I sighed and relaxed into my mates' embrace. It was comforting to feel their strong arms around me, keeping me safe and covered.

We all turned our heads towards a rustling in the trees. It was strange to hear anything besides the occasional deer coming from the woods that surround my house. The leaves moved and I struggled with my heightened vision to see what was coming from the area.

My mates growled with an intensity unfathomable. Obviously the two alphas sensed danger beyond the tree line. You could tell from the snapping of branches that this wasn't any normal deer.

A wolf, looking straggly, emerged from the trees and into our line of vision. He was cut up and bleeding, looking quite rough. It was almost as if this wolf hasn't been cared for in years. My concern started to override my fear of this strange creature. I tried to walk forwards, towards it, when I was roughly pulled back by my strong, protective mates.

"Jules, sniff the air," I did as they said and wasn't too shocked by my discovery; the wolf was rogue. Immediate fear flashed through my body. The wolf bared it's teeth in our direction and growled fiercely in our direction. My mates growled back twice as powerful as the rogue. I paused for a moment, overcome with emotion. I recognized this wolf. Not as just any old person off of the street, but my body recognized him as someone I was close to, someone I could trust.

It hit me like a literal ton of bricks. Xander. His name was Xander. But, I haven't seen Xander. Not since-

"Xander! Catch me!" I yelled as I jumped from the swing I was swinging on. My best friend. My brother. He always took care of me. Always played with me and loved me and took care of me. Protected me. My big brother was my idol, my everything. I looked up to him so much. I knew he would catch me. He always did. I was eight and he was twelve. He had the strength to catch two me's. After all, we are wolves, and he is in line to be the next beta.

My body neared the ground. I turned so he could catch me better. I was so used to jumping into his arms. We always caught me; and I always jumped without hesitation. I giggled with delight at the prospect of being caught in his strong arms. I loved playing with him. He's always been here to catch me. I love him so much.

I was nearing his arms. He smiled wide at me. I had so much confidence that he would catch me. Until, I hit the ground. Hard. I heard a crack, and then another, and another. Blinding pain all through my legs. I lied on the ground, catching my lost breath. Taking breaths in hiccups I started to cry.

Tears were streaming down my face, but Xander walked closer to me, smirking. My vision was turning black. The pain was searing through my legs. Could I even move them? I don't know anymore. All I can feel is numbness now. My vision is almost completely gone now. I don't know how much longer I can hang in there.
"X-Xander! W-wh-y didn't you c-catch m-me?" I sobbed, trying to grasp onto his arms to pull myself up. My effort was futile. I could hardly move.

"You're a worthless piece of no good garbage, Julie! I was never your friend! I'm a rogue! You mean nothing to me! And now, no one is going to find you. You're going to die. All alone like you deserve."

I glanced up to see Xander smirking at me.

"Hello, little sister."