The Twenty-Fifth Chapter [Final]

“She’s beautiful, isn’t she?” Daesom suddenly spoke, her voice laced with fondness over the little girl. “Her name’s Soo Jin.” Daesom locked her gaze with his. “Oh Soo Jin. She’s our daughter, Sehun.”

Sehun went still, his eyes wide and his mouth gaping open. Our daughter. Those two words kept repeating inside his head. He looked at the baby again and even if it was the first time he saw her, Sehun felt something. There was some sort of connection he could feel in his veins and he knew he couldn’t deny that the little girl was really his child.

Daesom spoke again since she probably knew that Sehun wouldn’t be able to say anything yet due to his shock. “I know this is a lot to take in right now. I don’t even know where to start explaining, to be honest. I suddenly disappear and then reappear in your life without any warning then telling you that we have a child.” She cradled Soo Jin in her arms, the little girl looking at her mother with wonder in her eyes. “I’m sorry, Sehun. I’m really sorry.”

Sehun still didn’t say anything but this time, he took steps to get closer to her. Daesom’s eyes were wary, as if she was worried that he was mad – which was pretty absurd because Sehun could never get mad at her even if she disappeared on him just like that.

“Can I hold her?”

Daesom looked surprised when she heard him say that, like she didn’t expect him to be talking calmly like that. She nodded perceptibly and held out her arms so that Sehun could take Soo Jin. His arms were shaking as he took the little girl. He was nervous because, after all, it was his first time to carry a child in his arms. She was so little and so fragile-looking that he was afraid that he might break her.  He was also scared that she would cry but her eyes just looked into his own, probably wondering who he might be.

“Soo Jin.” The first time Sehun said his daughter’s name, his heart raced due to a feeling he couldn’t explain. The baby probably knew her name because her eyes – eyes that were so much like his own – blinked and the corners of her small lips twitched upwards. Sehun wasn’t sure if babies already knew how to smile but his lips formed a smile of his own. He gazed at Soo Jin, then at Daesom, and the last thirteen months they were apart didn’t matter to Sehun anymore.

-

“Two weeks after I went back to Canada, I found out I was pregnant.” Daesom started to say. They were sitting at the bench that Daesom and Soojin were occupying earlier. Their daughter was fast asleep again in Daesom’s arms. “I found out early because I was going to the hospital for my check-up. I didn’t even have the slightest idea about it so it came as a total shock. I even thought at first that the doctor just made a mistake so I went to the OB-gyne to confirm it. When she told me that I was, I couldn’t believe it. With my sickness, though not impossible, it was hard for my body to conceive and if I did, it would be highly risky. I became afraid.”

Daesom wasn’t looking into his eyes as she talked but he clearly saw the fear in them as she recalled what happened for the past months. He reached out for her hand and clasped it tightly. That was when she decided to meet his gaze and he gave her a small smile when she did. She continued speaking with his encouragement.