The Twenty-Second Chapter

Sehun made sure that Daesom was sound asleep before he dressed up warmer to fight the freezing temperature outside. Hoping that she wouldn’t wake up to see that he was gone, he placed a light kiss on her forehead and got out of his apartment quietly. He decided to walk down the block because driving this evening was dangerous with sleet on the roads. The coffee shop where he would be meeting Daehyun wasn’t that far anyway.

Most shops closed early but some were still open even this Christmas. People were still walking down the streets, mostly couples who were celebrating the last hours of the holiday. He quickened his pace and dug his hands deeper into his pockets because the temperature was dropping every second. It was probably going to snow again tonight.

Sehun entered the coffee shop with a light jingle of the bells and his eyes immediately scanned the area for Daesom’s older brother. He quickly found the latter sitting at the leftmost part of the place beside the glass windows. Daehyun looked up as soon as he heard the bells and waved a hand at Sehun.

“I’m sorry for calling you out this late. I just got back from Busan.” Daehyun said as soon as Sehun sat down across him. “Happy holidays, by the way.” The older one smiled warmly.

Sehun just nodded. “I was expecting you to visit Daesom earlier, since it’s Christmas.”

“Ah, yes.” Daehyun’s smile turned into an awkward one. “Daesom told me not to see her for a few days so I didn’t visit her even though I wanted to. We’ll get to that later. Let get something warm to drink first.”

It was a cup of cappuccino for Sehun and an espresso for Daehyun. The former wasn’t really a fan of coffee but since it was a coffee shop, he settled for one. Sehun had an idea though that what Daehyun wanted to talk about with him wouldn’t be as warm and welcoming like the coffees.

“Does Daesom know that you came here to meet me?” Daehyun asked after taking a sip of his drink.

“No. She was already asleep when you texted.”

“Daesom would probably go ballistic and ask you to decline if she knew.” A small smile appeared on Daehyun’s face and Sehun couldn’t help but notice the affectionate tone he used when he said his sister’s name. “But you should tell her tomorrow when she wakes up.”

“I was really planning to.” Sehun stared at the cup on his hands for awhile before he looked Daehyun into the eyes again. “So, Daehyun-ssi, what is it that you wanted to talk about?”

“You’re too formal. You can just call me ‘hyung’.”

Sehun wasn’t used to calling someone with familiarity so he ignored the offer. “It’s about Daesom, right?” He pressed on.

Daehyun heaved a sigh. “We weren’t exactly on good terms when she left Canada with Kris. I tried patching things up with her but she refused to answer my calls while she was here. And now that we met again, I found out that she’s sick. I was glad that she didn’t push me away when I arrived and she’s warming up to me again, but when I mentioned about taking her back with me to Canada, she refused and got mad.” There was a pause before Daehyun spoke again. “She doesn’t want to come with me even if there’s a bigger chance for her to get better there because she wants to stay here with you. Daesom.. is too much in love with you.”