Chapter 4: Onto Something

Sasuke watched Naruto run out of the classroom, his eyes a little alarmed. He had half a mind to run after him, but he forced himself to overpower the urge. Did he see me looking at him?

He could feel rage welling up inside him, but he didn't know whether he was more angry at himself or Naruto. For the past two days, Naruto had been on his mind constantly and he just didn't know how one single person could possibly occupy at least ninety-five percent of his thoughts. Even if it was someone as annoying and clueless as Naruto and didn't fail to do something stupid at least once a day.

Perhaps it was because he had been a hot topic of discussion for a lot of the boys and the thought of it somehow made him extremely angry. Naruto's just like me...he thought, in an attempt to justify his state of mind. I guess I'm just so annoyed at the fact that he's so fucking oblivious to those perverts' advances!
He brought his pencil to the blank page in front of him and began drawing a small stroke. In any case, I feel kind of sorry for him...poor guy doesn't even realize what he's gotten himself into. Sasuke hid a smirk behind the palm on which his chin was resting. The stroke he had drawn now formed a nose. Why is it that everyone's so interested in him anyway? He's so...loud and annoying. Sasuke thoughts then drifted to the events of yesterday, and unconsciously furrowed his eyebrows. Practically everybody had been staring at Naruto and the way that he shameless flirted with that freaking guy who looks so much like a girl.

He felt a hand shake his shoulder. "Huh?" he asked, looking around him to see all of his classmates staring at him as well the boy who had unashamedly touched his shoulder.

"This is unlike you Sasuke, something happen?" Iruka inquired, politely, chalk poised perfectly in his hand.

"What?" Sasuke asked, somewhat dazed.

"I asked you what the derivative of 3x squared was"

"Oh..uh...6x"

Iruka nodded, warily, but continued to write on the board. "Now, remember when differentiating x to the power of..."

Sighing, Sasuke drew a circular path around the nose he had already drawn and ignored the worried look that Shikamaru shot him. Paying the price for his obvious disregard, a paper ball hit his head. What the...? He thought angrily, turning around to see Shikamaru staring right at him, motioning him to open it.

He picked up the scrunched up ball and unraveled it.

What the fuck's wrong with you?

It had read.

Frowning, Sasuke put the note aside and continued drawing. Spiky hair would look good with this face. He thought, smiling to himself.

The class continued, with many of the boys preferring to sleep, play on their phones or something other what poor Iruka was talking about. Likewise, Shikamaru's mind was elsewhere as he busied himself by watching Sasuke intently. Dealing with Sasuke is such an effing pain. Shikamaru scoffed as he watched him. However, the more he watched Sasuke the more intrigued he became by the expression of pleasure that Sasuke appeared to display. He's never been that happy around me, Shikamaru observed. What the hell could he be drawing? Unable to find an answer to the question, Shikamaru closed his eyes and tried his best to sleep. It was extremely rare for him to be unable to figure something out but when it did happen, it bothered him to no end. This time was no different and just as his mind tried to make sense of the enigma that was Sasuke, the bell rang.

"All right...that's all for today kids. Don't forget to finish exercises 4, 5 and 6 for homework and I'll see you tomorrow!" Iruka shouted happily as he picked up his things and left the classroom. Shikamaru opened his eyes and waited for all the boys to leave the classroom. He spied Sasuke hunched over his desk, intent on finishing whatever it was that he was drawing. As soon as all the boys had left, Shikamaru groaned and forced himself to overcome his laziness and approach Sasuke.