Part 6

Benji

I thought I’ve done stupid things before, but this was by far the dumbest thing I’ve ever done. “I can’t believe I told a complete stranger that I love her.”

“It’s not the end of the world,” Katie said as Taj walking into the hotel suite.

“Hey what’s your problem?” he asked sitting next to Katie.

“I told Mia I love her,” I groaned.

“What did she say?” he asked.

“Good night.”

It was silent and then Taj started to laugh. “You need to leave town dye your hair and change your name.  Bruh, that’s crazy.”

“You’re not helping Taj,” Katie yelled. “Mia is under a lot of stress, just give her time.”

“There is no amount of time that’s going to make this any less pathetic.” I said getting up to get another beer.

“Umm, am I the only one that remembers you’re in a relationship?” Taj asked.

“That doesn’t change the way I feel about Mia.”.

“So are you planning on breaking up with Lauryn?”

I paused. I’d be lying if I said the thought hadn’t crossed my mind. I always wanted a girl like Mia and here she was. “I don’t know,” I said clearly lying.

“Man, you have to do something and do it soon.”

“As much as I hate her, Taj is right. Keeping this thing going when you know it’s not working will only hurt you guys in the long run.”

“Fine,” I said agreeing with them. “I’ll do it when we get to L.A.”

The next day Mia brought the boys over. She looked the same. GORGEOUS. “Ben can we talk?” I lead them to the suite and the boys immediately ran to the tv and turned on Sprout. I made us a pot of coffee and Mia sat at the table. I sat cream and sugar on the table in front of her.

“Ben.”

“Look, I crossed a line last night.”

“No, you’re right. I’d never let someone treat me the way he does. And I need to stop making excuses for him. It’s not working for the kids and it’s not working for me.”

“So, you’re going to leave him.”

“Yeah.”

My heart leaped. “Mia, I know you deserve so much more out of life than what he’s giving you.”

“I know that we don’t know each other well, but I feel like me when I’m with you. Sometimes my head is clouded, but you help me find myself through the fog. And I want to thank you for it,” she slid a small box over to me.

“Mia you didn’t have to buy me anything. You are wonderful. You already gave me more then enough,” I said pushing the box back to her.

“Just open it before you say no,” She said with her devious smile.

“If you insist,” I agreed knowing we’d do this dance forever, and it would end with me giving in any ways. I took the lid off the box and removed the tissue paper. Inside was a sliver pocket watch that had gold letters engraved on it that read “Love you dad.”

“It’s like a locket, you press down here and it opens,” She said opening it. Inside was a picture of the kids and one of us all by the pool.

“Mia,” I said feeling a limp grow in my throat. This was by far the nicest thing anyone had ever given me. I stood and I kissed her. I felt her lips follow mine when I tried to pull away. She stood and grabbed the back of my neck. Then I knocked her coffee over.

We stared at one another while the coffee dripped to the floor. In that moment it was clear to me that I wanted her. I was going to do what ever had to be done to make her mine. I walked over to her and I kissed her again. This time I made sure she knew I wasn’t sorry and that it was intentional. I snaked my arms around her waist and pulled her close by the round globes of her ass. I slowly kneaded each cheek as my tongue warred with hers.
When I was satisfied, I pulled away.

I rested my forehead against hers and looked into her eyes. “I want to get to know you. The real you, because I think I’m really falling for her.”

Her blue eyes twinkled with awe. I searched them for an answer, but she had yet to find it. Without warning her lips crashed into mine and her hands were pulling my head closer. We stood there kissing for a few minutes and she finally let me up for air. I rubbed her bottom lip with my thumb.

“I am such a mess right now Ben,” she said getting lost in her thoughts.

“Look at me,” I ordered her. Her eyes met mine. “I just want to see where we could go. I’m not looking for your hand in marriage, I just want to know the real you.”

She grinned at me. “I’d like that.” Then she sighed. “I’m still married.”

-“Mia”

“I’m not a cheater. So, can we pause this until I’m no longer married.”

I kissed the crown of her head and hugged her. “I think I can manage that if you promise me one thing.”

She looked up at me. “What is that?”

“We go to New York for thanksgiving,” I said.

“It’s a date.”

MIA

Ben and I kissed. With him, in his arms. It felt like the stars aligned and everything was the way it was meant to be. In my car driving home to the house I shared with my husband I felt like a hypocrite. I did the very thing I hated John for. But I never felt so drawn to another human being. Ben really was my lifeline these past few weeks.

I pulled into the garage and carried the kids in one by one. By the time I got them all in their beds I was exhausted. I went to the in-law suite and prepared for bed. I had finished braiding my hair when I noticed the text from Ben.

I miss your lips.

I hope you got in safe.

You inspired me to write a new song.

I responded to his last text with a smiler emoji and wrote I can’t wait to hear it, unless its cheesy. Well we are talking about you.

Soon he responded with a sad emoji. Dairy is a very important part of a well-balanced diet. I’m all the cheese you need to survive.

Guess I better become a vegan.

Ouch.

I smiled as I thought about what life would have been like if it was Ben that I married. I smiled to myself at the thought. However, that wasn’t the reality I was currently living in. I had things to sort out before I could be with anyone. I made it up in my mind that I was taking my life back.