Part 8

Mia

My mom was off on a cruise with her new boyfriend, so, I decided to take my younger sister out to find a dress for her back-to-school dance. This was usually a Rafaela job but I’m good at spending my dad’s money too. He wanted to help out without getting rejected so of course I was sent in for the mission.

“Why doesn’t he just come over and take me shopping she wouldn’t say no. ” My sister looked at me to try and make sense of our parents messy behavior.

“Look Dom, it’s hard for them to talk to each other in a civil manner. The less they see each other the better.”

“Is that what you’d want for your kids when you and John finally get a divorce?”

“I’m not them and neither are you. If you want to spend time with him you do it your way. She won’t stop you, but I can assure you. Daddy isn’t going to show up anywhere he is not welcomed. And he is not welcomed at your mother’s door.” I pulled a yellow cocktail dress with pink flowers across it. “This is you chica.”

“Love it. I’m going to try it on.”

Soon as she walked to the back Benji called. “How was the drive?”

“Quiet, they were all sound asleep. That was such a good idea to leave at 4 am. You really are a miracle worker.”

“Or I have 4 annoying siblings,” I sighed.

“Still I appreciate it. So, what are you up to now?”

“Out with my little sister Dominique. She has a dance coming up. Ella was supposed to take her shopping so guess I’m the B-team.”

“How about I put you on my A-list with Megan Good, Megan the Stallion, and Megan Fox. Only catch is now you have to be a Megan too.”

“Wow, I’ve just learned something new about you. It’s a little scary,” I laughed.

“OH, Mel B and the rest of the Spice Girls are on the D-list.”

“Okay, now we have a problem. The Spice Girls are icons. They kicked off one of the best periods in girl group existence since the Motown Era.”

“Okay Berry Gordy.”

“More Quincy Jones if I have a choice.”

He gave a deep chuckle, “You always have a choice,” he said.

A wave of sadness moved through my chest. “It’s starting to feel like that, again.”

Ben sighed. “I know your answer but I’m gonna ask. Come to LA.”

“Benji Asher Russell”-

“Who are you talking to,” Dominique yelled.

It felt like I was caught red handed. I’m not sure if Ella told Dominique about Benji but they both were in love with him. “Just Ella.”

Dominique is a walking lie detector. I don’t know how she learned it, but she was bound to get the job she disparately wanted with the CIA. “Mia do you know Benji Russell.”

“Someone is caught, guess you can’t keep me a secret much longer,” Benji said.

“Don’t be cute,” I told Benji. “Dee it’s a complicated situation.”

“Not more complicated then my birth,” she said.

Damn my messy ass parents. “Ella’s friend is Benji’s sister,” I explained.

“Wow that’s it,” Ben teased.

“Shut up, or I‘ll hang up on you,” I warned him.

“Yeah and you want me to believe that. Seems like he’s your boyfriend or something,” Dominique said.