Part 7

Benji

I watched Ella and Mia work together to make dinner. Something about the two of them was off. For one thing they were very quiet and yet every movement they made was loud. Ella diced veggies sounding like she’d cut through the cutting board. Mia roamed around the kitchen collecting ingredients and slamming everything down or shut.

“Did I miss something? Are you guys ok?” I asked.

They glanced over their shoulders at each other. Then they continued working as if I never said a word. “Great,” I said smiling at Mia.

Mia walked over and put the roast next to Ella to add the veggies. She washed her hands and walked to the yard. I followed her.

“And everything is alright?”

She sighed. “Ella wants to move back home.”

I was confused. “Didn’t she just finish her room here?”

“That’s what I said when she told me and John last night. Apparently, I’m stifling her ability to grow beyond fashion and childish fantasies.”

“I’m guessing those are John’s words not Ella’s.”

“Yes, but she agrees with him. She never agrees with him. And now they’re in cahoots with each other. And I’m the bad guy. I love Rafaela but she isn’t a dumb Stefford Wife like her mom. She is incredibly talented and I know for a fact that she doesn’t want it to go to waste. I just don’t get it.”

“Maybe it’s not for you to get. She might just miss home. She is very close to your dad, like you. Maybe it’s time she moved on her own; and see if what she was running from is as bad as she made it out to be.”

She cut her eyes at me. “So, you think I’m over reacting, too?”

“Katie, has been were Ella is. All I’m saying is, see how it all plays out.”

Mia sighed again and looked off into the mountains. “I just want her to be happy, and get all she can out of life. I know this won’t make her happy.”

I grabbed Mia’s hand and kissed it. “It’s not for you to decide. Give her the chance.”

She pulled me into a hug and I stroked her hair. “I don’t want to leave you,” I confessed as I kissed the top of her head.

“You have to Rockstar, or no one will get to hear this new incredible album.”

I grabbed her waist and pulled her body into mine. I tilted her chin up and I rested my forehead on hers. Her eyes were endless pools of blue and I wanted to swim in them. Her arms were soon around my neck, her fingers massaged my scalp. God she was a beautiful creature.

We heard the slam of car doors and Katie was back which meant I had to go. “Come to the hotel with me?” Mia gave me that scolding mom look and I softened my eyes. “Please.”

“Ben that has bad idea written all over it. And I need to talk to Rafaela before you guys leave tomorrow.” She kissed my cheek and head back into the house.

I walked in to see Taj flying Aiden into the kitchen. He put Aiden into his highchair, and then doing the same with Logan. Taj walked over and kissed Rafaela. I looked at Mia and she just smiled at me and it made the longing ache in my chest go away. “See you ladies tomorrow,” I said leading Taj to the living room.

Katie came down the steps with a mopping Alyssa. I grabbed her in my arms from the bottom step. “I promise it won’t feel long before I’m back.”

“But Tia Katie won’t be back,” Alyssa cried holding on to me.

“But you’ll get Ella back and Taj.”

“Please stay,” she whispered
Mia took Alyssa from me. “No more tears Lyss. Say goodbye and wash up for dinner,” Mia gave her a kiss and sat her down.

Alyssa gave each of us a hug. She went upstairs with a dramatic sigh hiccupping with each step.

“She has to get that from you,” Mia laughed.

“Oh, she does,” Taj agreed. “See you soon Mia.”

“Bye Taj.”

“Bye, Mia,” Katie said as she hugged her. “Call me every day.”

“I will,” Mia agreed as she squeezed Katie.

Taj and Katie went to the car leaving Mia and I alone. I tucked a loose curl behind her ear. “When I come back it’s for you. For this. For them. I really believe we could be something great.”
Mia bit her lip and looked at the ground. She exhaled and looked me in the eye. She kissed me hard and I wrapped my arms around her waist. “Be back soon.”

“I promise,” I said and went to the car.

Mia

I walked in Ella’s room and she was still trying to pack. She had gotten several new outfits that littered the bedroom floor. “Hey,” I said watching her press a gourmet to her slender body.

She replied with a dry “hey”.

I reminded myself what Benji said. “I know you don’t want to talk about it, but just let me say my peace. I’m not sure of the why, but I want you to feel supported in your choice, and I do support you. It may not feel like it but I want What’s best for you and I trust you to know what that is,” I said at once.

Rafaela wrapped her arms around me. “Please, leave with me. We can take the kids to LA and you can teach. We can have everything together. Just us.” I felt her tears on my shoulder and I tried to hush her cries.

“I can’t just uproot the kids. But I know I need to leave. I’m working on it. Don’t worry about it. I’m going to be okay.”

Benji does love you more than anything I’ve seen in my life. And you’re really happy with him. Don’t let anyone take that from you,” she kissed my cheek and went back to packing.

“Night Ella.”

“Night.”

Benji

Ella was fairly quite the drive down to LA. I knew Mia was right and there was something bothering her. I walked her across the yard to the pool house. “This is all yours for the next week.” I sat her bag on the living room floor and she gasped as she took in her surroundings.

“This is amazing,” she laughed.

“I’m glad you like it. I got you a ticket for the party tonight and I’ll leave you to do your thing and get ready,” I smiled.

“Thanks Ben,” she said.

“Dress to impress I hear Phoebe Philo will be there.”

“No way. Ohmigod, I don’t think I can do this.”

“Relax, you are better than she is. You can do this.”

“Mia would be so for it,” she said with a smirk.

“She’s really proud of you.” I know I had zero right to ask but I was curious. “What made you decide to move back home with your parents?” She looked down and her face dropped to the floor. I definitely put my foot in it. “It’s not my place to know”-

“No, I just. My mom is trying so, I’m trying too. I don’t know if it will work this go around but she’s putting in more effort then she ever have before.”

“I hope it works out.”

“I hope a lot of things work out. Mostly you and Mia.”

“I’ll try to keep the hope a live for you.”