Chapter 16: I Beg You

Sarah in MM

Sarah in MM

"You listening to me?" Sarah asked as she she sat on the edge of his desk with her searching blue eyes through his own chocolate ones. She needed him to listen to her and understand all of what she was trying to say. Of what she wanted from him. She came to the epiphany that she wanted to make things work between her and her husband. She was willing to do whatever it took to get back to when they first fell in love. She didn't want to lose him despite his cheating ways. Deep down he was a good man, she just had to find him again.

Corey was looking at Sarah but he wasn't quite hearing her. He really didn't have the attention span to listen to anything she had to say. Of course he heard everything but he felt it was already too late for them to repair their marriage no matter how much she willed it. Over the course of their four years, two and half were already in shambles. He DID once love Sarah but when the excitement left, he gave anything to capture it again even if that meant stepping out to find it somewhere else. Soon he already accumulated a handful of women who, at the snap of a finger, would kill to be Mrs. Johnson. These woman looked ten times better than Sarah and gave him some whenever he asked for it. So why still deal with her?

A question he still couldn't find the answer to.

  For all of fifteen minutes she tried to explain her reasons- appearing at his office and wanting to take him to lunch to talk- was going in one ear and out the other. All he cared about at that moment was talking to Audrey. Which was oddity in itself because if this involved one of his other girls, he wouldn't have cared that her feelings were hurt. She would have been quickly replaced as soon as she left the building. So what was it about her that he cared so much?

"Corey?" He blinked and fixed the imaginary crease on his tie.

"I heard you."

"And?"

He sighed and rubbed his hands across his face. He really didn't have the time to find solutions to his marital problems right then and in his office.

"Sarah, can we deal with this when I get home later on this evening?" Sarah's smile, what little there was of on her face, was now gone. Her eyes dropped to her fingers as she fiddled with the metal on her clutch. She so desperately wanted her husband back and she wanted him to want her too.

"Well," She began softly. "I'm here to take you to lunch. Remember?" Corey looked back into the eyes of his wife and sighed. It was just lunch, it eouldn't kill him to go.

"Alright." He rose to his feet and grabbed his phone by the keyboard. He didn't know what possessed him to unlock his phone and check it, but he did and immediately a text from Audrey was on the front screen. The sight of her name made his heart flutter. He couldn't possibly guess what she wrote to him but he knew it wasn't at all good. He placed it on the inside of his suit jacket pocket and fished out his keys from the outside pocket. "Let's go."