Chapter 20

Then I couldn’t really be sure. She was sayings she was getting help or whatever but she done said that so many times it’s lost its meaning. She been to rehab over six times, and copped out every time. I ain’t have time to play no games. Either she got her shit straight or she could just stay away from round me and the kids.

They don’t need her flopping in and out their life constantly. They need stability. They need constant love and support. They need a mother, not no damn crack head who don’t know if she coming or going. She had some nerve calling me like she was a changed woman or some shit. She need to find Jesus then come see about me.

Telling me the address like I was gonna come see her or something. Girl bye.

Soon the therapy session was over. All the kids had been seen, and Dr. Gordon talked to me about each of their cases. She said what she always said. They are improving but we got some ways to go.

I didn’t mention that their mom called. I didn’t wanna shatter them. It seem like whenever her name is mentioned, the kids become horrified. I didn’t want to put any fear in them. I just wanted them to have their moments to be kids. Not to worry about their mom selling them drugs, allowing them to be abused or none of that. But just some time to just be carefree and happy children.

 So far I think I was doing good with that. They did seem happier, and they smiled a lot, and they always looked at me with so much love. When they see me on the porch waiting for them, they light up. They run to me. Charles likes to sit in my lap sometime, and he’ll just sit, and play with my fingers or something. Karlie wants to tell me about her day, and all the fun stuff she learned at school. She wants to tell me all about her friends, and her teacher. And Ka’Diah she simply likes to sit, just sit with me. She smiles, and she nods, and that’s ok with me.

And even though two of them don’t speak their actions speak volumes.

“Aunty Kay?” Karlie said as I was driving home.

 “Yes?” I said.

 “Can we skip dinner tonight and just eat ice cream?” Karlie said.

 “Uh no ma’am we certainly can not.” I said.

“But ice cream is good.” Karlie said like that was suppose to make everything ok.

“Yes it is, and it will be just as good after you eat dinner.” I said.

“Humph!” Karlie pouted.

We made it home, and I unloaded the car.

I began to cook dinner soon as we got home.

 Charles walked into the kitchen, washed his hands and waited for instructions. Lately he had been very helpful in the kitchen. He liked cooking with me. I don’t know why so suddenly maybe because of his new found love for food. This little man had gained a huge appetite.

 I always found something for him to do, even something as small as stirring something up or seasoning some meats or vegetables.

 He was always so happy to being even the smallest of things.

 I heard a knock on the front door.

 “I got it.” Karlie said.

“Aunty Kay it’s Christina.” Karlie said.

 “Let her in then.” I said.

 “Hi Christina!” I heard Karlie say cheerfully.

 Christina spoke to her for a minute and then entered the kitchen.

“Wow, Chef Charles is at it again. Cooking up a storm.” Christina said. Charles smiled and nodded in agreement.

“Yeah me and him again.” I smiled.