6. Rush

Tyler was stuck in my head.

I was hungry for answers; I needed more to the story.

I sat in my morning class, twirling the pencil in my hand as I thought about him—trying to put the puzzle pieces together.

"Nadine?"

I looked up at the professor.

"Well? Do you have an answer?" He looked at me with the marker in his hand.

I had a blank expression on my face.

"What?"

"The equation, Nadine," He pointed at the board with the problem on it.

"I-I'm not sure. Excuse me," I grabbed my stuff, making my way out the door.

My mind was blank. He was literally interfering with my life now. I couldn't even fucking concentrate in class anymore.

I made my way to the library, knowing Frank would be waiting for me like he usually did on Fridays.

"Class is over already?" he asked, looking up from his laptop.

"Nah, I left."

"You good? You look crazy tired."

I sighed, taking a seat in the chair in front of him. I wanted to tell him everything I was thinking, but I couldn't bring myself to it. I knew Frank. I knew he'd tell me to stop talking to him because he was dangerous.

"I didn't really sleep last night."

"Lemme guess. It's Tyler," he rolled his eyes, laughing sarcastically.

"Frank it's not a joke. I really think there's something more to him."

"Well duh there's something more to him. A lot more. He's a fucking rich drug dealer. Who knows what the fuck else he's into."

I sighed, sinking back into the chair.

"Do you like him?"

I looked up at him, biting my lip. It wasn't that I liked him—he intrigued me. It was something new, unexpected, a rush. It was like a mystery that I was trying to solve.

I shook my head no.

"Good. That's the last thing you need right now."

...

I soon made my way to work, and it was still an early afternoon. Luckily I had a short shift today.

"Betty," I set my stuff into the back stocking room.

"Nadine."

I made my way to the cash register; she had her stuff in her hands as she was ready to leave.

"Remember to lock everything up before you leave tonight. And no closing early. You know the rules," she replied.

I nodded.

I sighed a relief as she stepped out of the door. I was able to do whatever I wanted when she was gone. I was surprised she even trusted me this much. I mean she didn't really have a choice anyway.

In those two hours, I had only checked out a few customers, and the sun was beginning to set.

As I finished stocking up the new releases section, the door rang as someone walked in. I took a peek to see who it was.

"Can I help you?" I asked, making my way back to where I was stocking records.

"Mhmm."

I could hear his footsteps get closer to where I was.

"I'm gonna need you to lock up and close right now. Then I want you to get home and change. I'll be picking you up at 8:00 pm sharp, and you'll be coming with me to an event."

I turned around, letting out a laugh.

"I'm serious."

"You're asking me to leave my job right now. You sound insane," I brushed him off, turning my back to him as I continued fixing the rack.

I felt his presence right behind me. He was inches away from my body.

"This should cover your shift."

My eyes widened at the wad of cash he placed in front of me. I stepped away.

"I can't take that."

"You're going to. I want you ready at 8."

He began to leave.

"What the fuck am I supposed to wear?"

He turned around for a slight moment, eyeing my frame.

"Surprise me."

He stepped out.

I stared at the cash, taking it in my hand as I skimmed through the 50 dollar bills. It had be at least a thousand.

I couldn't wrap my head around it.

But now I didn't have a choice—I began to lock up.