Chapter Eight- Nelson's Orphanage

Hello everyone!

OMG GUYS. THAT'S A LOT OF VOTES. :D made me so excited! thanks for all of yall who fanned too! all of yall keep me going(:

But anyways, this upload is so late, and I'm sorry for those of you that wanted it earlier. AP classes suck. Period. 

But here's the next chapter! It's short, but please stick with me you guys(: This chapter tells you about Charlotte's 'other' life, kinda sorta. There's a lot more planned(;

So please~ ENJOY!

and comment/vote if yall want me to upload faster! School won't be letting up for a while and I'm going to need the motivation(;

Tell me you're thoughts!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 8- Nelson's Orphanage

Charlotte Everley

“Charr-zard!” Michael, a six year old with golden blonde hair and big, innocent eyes ran to me. I bent down, holding my large Tupperware box in one arm as he hugged me with his chubby arms.

“You’re back, Charr-zard!” He said, his angelic voice muffled by my shirt. I smiled and kissed him on the forehead. 

“Of course! I told you I would.” I smiled. I felt his grip on me tighten before loosening. He leant back from my shoulder and my smile quickly fades as I see his eyes water. His next words come out in a tremble.

“When is Mommy going to come back, Charlotte?” Inhaling sharply, I open my mouth to reply, but no words came out. Michael always called me Charr-zard; after his favorite Pokémon. Hearing him ask that question, I nearly buckled from the pure innocence that vibrated out of it.

“Michael.” A soft, wise voice gently said. I looked up and saw Harriet, a woman in her forties, smiling down at us with a small smile. A sad, empathetic smile. “Remember? You’re Mommy sent you to us so we could take care of you, honey.” His bright red lips trembled.

“But I miss my Mommy, Harry.” Despite the nickname, I find the back of my eyes start to prickle with on-coming tears. Harriet’s eyes grew somber. She bent down to our level. He detached himself from me and walked into Harriet’s arms. I heard his muffled cries against her shirt.

“I know sweetie.” She murmured against his hair. A silence passes by us. “I think it’s time for your afternoon nap. What do you say, honey?” He nods his head, Harriet’s shoulder stuttering the movement. She gave me a sad look before standing and walking away. Sniffling, I stood also, before shaking the emotion off and going to the kitchen. All the kids were probably at the upstairs game room, seeing as I saw nobody else on my way into the kitchen. There, I started unloading my Tupperware. 

“Charlotte.” Harriet’s smooth voice says. I turn towards her and feign a smile, urging myself to forget what happened with Michael.

“Yes?” She examines my face before letting a small, wise smile slip onto her face.

“I just wanted to take a cookie before they all get devoured.” Her smile widens as she took one. I laughed, ignoring that she just completely changed the subject that hung between us over Michael.

“Where are they  now?” She points one finger upwards.

“Upstairs, game room. Kelsey and Macy went out to the library. Kade’s dropping off Jared at his soccer game.” I nodded.

“How has everyone been?” I asked, crossing my arms and leaning on the countertop. “No trouble, I hope?” She shook her head. Her face brightens.

“Any parents come in lately?” I ask, my voice hopeful. A smile bursts out on her face. 

“Two parents came by the other day,” She starts, her voice emanating enthusiasm. “Mr. and Mrs. Frank. They were such sweet people.” She smiles. I felt my lips twitch into a smile, knowing her reasons for being so happy.

At Nelson’s Orphanage, there were about 23 kids. Not as much as some, but definitely not a small number. Harriet started the orphanage for her compassion for the kids, her kind nature compelling her to do something amazing with her community. She did.

       Still, she finds her hands full with so many things and blames herself for neglecting other children, at times. Personally, I thoubhg she was doing a phenomenal job. Her ex-husband, Jerry, couldn’t handle all the ‘kind acts’ she was used to doing and removed himself from the situation. So Harriet’s been all alone in taking care of the orphanage.

And that's where I came in.

“They took an interest in Jade.” She said, her smile seemed to brighten even more. I felt my body posture fix upwards.

“Really?” I asked, just to double check.

“Really. They said they wanted to adopt older, since they’ve already had two kids.” My smile widened even more.

Jade was a sixteen year-old girl who has always had a bright personality, right from the start, despite the fact that she knew her circumstances, unlike Michael. I honestly don't know how she manages to keep that sweet smile on her face every day. But she definitely does. Other than that, she a girl with red hair and crystal-clear jade eyes who literally arrived at Harriet’s doorstep. Cliche, but sometimes, we need cliches in our life, don't we?

“That’s amazing.” I breathed out. We both stood in a comfortable silence, like we were soaking in the happiness for someone we cared about.

“Lottie!” Tyler, a ten year old boy, ran into the kitchen. “You’re back!” I laughed.

“Of course I am!” I exclaimed, the happiness of the news about Jade oozing out of my voice as I gave him a hug. “And..” I reached over the counter and took the plate of cookies.

“I brought cookies!” His brown eyes widened as he jumped towards the plate.

“Gosh that’s awesome, Lottie! You know we love your cookies!” He grabbed two and nearly inhaled them into his mouth. 

“Don’t eat too much, okay?” Harriet gave me a meaningful look before looking at Tyler. “Leave some room for dinner.” She said to him, but the smile on her face never left.

“Up we go!” I exclaimed, holding the plate in one hand as I pointed upwards. 

“Wanna play checkers with me, Lottie?” He asked.  I laughed.

“Sure thing, Tyler.” And then we both walked up the stairs, up to the place where I could be me. No hiding. No masking of my personality like I did in public.

         Just me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Thanks for reading<3