Chapter Eighteen- Learnt Lessons

Author's Note at the end~~ But, for now, read on, my friends! (: Enjoy! (Hopefully?) :P

Please excuse any spelling/grammatical mistakes! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 18- Learnt Lessons

Ryder Johnson

                “So,” Cole said, like he was talking about the weather. “Charlotte?” I glanced at him before looking back at the road.

                “What about it?” I replied.

                “It? So she’s an ‘it’ now?” Cole said. His tone of voice made me cringe, though I didn’t let it show.

                “It, her, does it really matter?” I said, my voice gruff. Cole didn’t say anything as I continued to drive.

                “Cameron called her first.” I clamped my mouth shut, surprised that I’d even said that.

                “Yeah, yeah he did.” Cole said, his voice showing that he was amused. Internally, I found myself groaning. “That’s too bad, huh?” Cole smirked. A moment passed.

                “Just shut up.” I said grumpily. Cole laughed in response.

                Five miles later, when we entered The Zone, the air around us filled with tension. Seconds later, we approached a gate. My eyes went up to the camera at the corner of the gate opening. A few seconds passed, and then the gate opened. My hands tightened on the steering wheel as we drove down the long drive way and into the X Zone. At least, that’s what they called it. Appearance-wise, it could be seen as a giant, white mansion. Inside was a different story.

                 Eventually, I parked and Cole and I both got out of the car. Nonchalantly, I pressed a finger to the top of my driver window, activating a locating device, and then headed towards the giant, white mansion.

                Blake opened the door for us once we’d stepped onto the front porch.

                “Hey guys, how are y’all two doing?” He asked his eyes dazed.

                “Getting it on again?” I asked, smirking.

                “All day, e’er day.” He gestured extravagantly for us to come in. Cole recoiled slightly at the stench of drugs in the air, but the look I gave him forced him to keep it low key, at least for the time being.

                We walked straight into the living room, to where all the other guys were. The stench grew stronger.

                “Time to get fucked.” I said, adopting a lazy smile. Cole did the same, just before shooting me a tense look.

                Just a little while longer, Cole. I thought as I went to the middle where all the ‘goodies’ were. Just a little while longer, and then this’ll all be over.

~~~~~~~~

                “Damn it.” Cole said, wiping his face with a towel. “The things you drag me into.” I laughed.

                “Goody-two-shoes Cole Adams.” I said, smirking. “Can’t take anything on the other side of the block without going home and rinsing his mouth fifty times.” I gestured towards the sink. A disgusted look appeared onto his face.