Chapter Thirty One

"He can't do that!" Ginny yells, outraged.

"He did it," Hermione mutters, munching on a green apple.

"But..But.. He said he loved you."

"He's a coward," Hermione sneers.

"Are you alright?"

"As fine as I can be," she snorts. "I'm not hurt or sad now- really, I'm just mad at him."

"Do you think he's gonna come back?" Ginny asks, her eyes wide and full of worry.

Hermione exhales harshly and closes her eyes. "That's what I'm going to have to tell myself. Yes, he will."

"There's something missing too, right?" Ginny puckers out her bottom lip. "Something that you're hiding."

Hermione cracks an eye open and peers down at her friend. "What makes you say that?"

"Hermione, I saw how happy he was. And his love for you, it's visible in his eyes. I don't think he'd ever leave just because his father got out of Azkaban- unless he did something..."

Hermione's eyes widen slightly. "You're too smart for your own good."

"What is it?" Ginny leans forward on the bed.

"You remember I told you about the reason why we took the portkeys back to Hogwarts?"

"Yeah."

"I told you it was because of some disease which had spread around the forest."

"You lied," the redhead accuses, her eyes narrowing.

"Yes I did," Hermione looks at her guiltily.

"Well, then spill."

"I was.....kidnapped....by a man."

Ginny gasps, her eyes widening in horror. "Was..Was it Lucius?"

"No," she sighs. "That man wasn't even a man. He was a boy. He looked a lot like Theo, Gin."

Ginny stares at her with horror-filled eyes. "What did he do to you, Hermione?"

"He used a cursed blade on me. That blade, according to Draco, belongs to Lucius."

"Are you fine?" Ginny squeaks.

"He carved 'Hello son' into my skin, and it disappeared the next day."

"Oh my," Ginny breathes. "I can't believe you hid this from me."

"I'm sorry, Gin. I wanted to tell you- really, I did. But we were finally happy and I didn't want to worry you over nothing."

"This isn't nothing, Hermione," Ginny hisses. "He could've harmed you. Seriously. And I think it's pretty obvious who we're talking about here."

Hermione puffs out her cheeks and lets out a frustrated breath. "It was not Lucius!"

"Hermione! You cannot be so damn sure about that." Ginny exclaims.

"I have a feeling it's someone related to Theo," Hermione deadpans.

And silence follows.

ooo

"Are you insane?! You broke up with the girl you've been trying to hit on for years?! Are you fucking kidding me right now?" Theo whisper-yells at him.

Draco shakes his head and glares at the first years passing by.

"Draco. You need serious help. You broke up with Granger?" Theo tries to grab his arm, but he keeps walking.