Chapter Twenty Four

Day Thirty Two

The sun was still rising when Hermione felt footsteps approaching. Sitting upright on the hard pebbles, she grabs her wand and holds it steady in her hand. Draco and Theo were still asleep, so it was a third person.

She stands up and takes a full turn, keeping her eyes wide open. And there, right next to the tallest tree, she sees a silhouette of a man. A bulky man.

Making sure to remain within the limits of the protective wards, she walks closer towards the tree. The man takes a step forward and Hermione barely stifles a gasp.

The man wasn't bulky. His clothing was. He was wearing thick Bulgarian robes. He was Viktor Krum.

Casting a silencing charm on her shoes, even though it wasn't needed, Hermione treats backwards until her foot hits something hard.

"Fucki-", Draco begins to swear. Hermione drops down to her knees and places her hand over his mouth, giving him a stern look. He glares back at her in response.

She places her mouth next to his ear and whispers, "Viktor Krum is here."

As expected, Draco, with the speed of light, sits upright and clutches his wand tightly in his hand.

"I know you three are here," Krum yells from where he's standing.

Hermione narrows her eyes and gently nudges Theo with her hand. Theo wakes up mumbling incoherent sentences until he sees the position of his teammates. Wands ready.

Defence mechanism kicking in, he, too, grabs his wand and points it directly at the intruder. His jaw drops when he sees who it really is. "Fucking Krum bitch," he scoffs.

"Take off the enchantments, Hermione. I'm here to talk," Krum says, his heavy voice echoing in the forest.

A muscle in Draco's jaw twitches upon hearing Hermione's name from Krum, and he barely restrains himself from cursing the lad into oblivion.

"We don't want to talk, loser," Theo yells.  Draco glares at him and Hermione smacks her forehead. And Krum has the audacity to laugh.

"Smart one you are, Nott," he says. "I want to talk to you, Hermione."

Draco squeezes his eyes shut and feels Hermione's hand enclose around his own.

Draco gives her a subtle nod of approval and she silently clears her throat.

"We have nothing to talk about, Krum," she says with such coldness, it shapes Draco's mouth into a smirk.

"It's important, Hermione," Krum replies. "Please. Your sidekicks can be there too."

A sudden pang of sadness engulfs Hermione as a smiling Ron's and grinning Harry's face flash through her mind.

"Remove the enchantments, Granger," Draco says. Hermione looks at him with worrisome eyes. "We don't have to-" she begins, but he cuts her off. "We're going to," he says with a tone of finality.

Huffing out a breath, she steps away from him and lifts her wand, performing the counter charms. Krum releases a sigh when the Trio become visible to him, and takes a step forward.

"Expelliarmus," Draco mutters, disarming Krum. His eyes flash dangerously for a second before he plasters a fake smile on his face.

"What do you want?" Hermione asks.

"Just want to apologise," Krum says, looking sincere. "For all my actions," he adds. "Pffttt," says Theo, stepping closer to Hermione.

"I'm serious, Nott. Forgive me. I was wrong," Krum says. Hermione's face falls for a moment because Krum looks ashen. "Forgive me, Hermione," he looks at her, pleading.

Draco furrows his brows and stares at the man, waiting for him to make eye contact with him. But he doesn't.  Smart man.

"Where are your partners?" Theo asks, gruffly. "They're here too, of course," Krum replies, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. "Don't fucking try to mess with us, you fucking bulky arse bitch," Theo roars at him, taking a step forward.

Hermione places a hand on his arm to stop him, and casts a worried glance in the blond's direction, who was, till now, silent.

"I'm not trying to mess with you," Krum raises his hands as if to surrender. "I'm just trying to rectify what I did."

Theo snorts. "Take your apology and stick up your arse, Krum."

"Hermione," Krum says, looking at her. "I truly am sorry," and he genuinely looks torn.

"Don't pressurize her, Krum," Draco speaks for the first time. Krum still doesn't look at him. Draco's nostrils flare and his eyes narrow. "Hermione needs some time," he says. Hermione looks at him, and he gives her a subtle nod. "He's right," she says, "I need some time. We need some time."

Krum's nose turns up a bit, and he opens his mouth to say something, but thinks better and just nods instead. "See you later," he mumbles. And with that, he walks away. 

ooo

"They figured out the clue," Draco says, exhaling as he leans his back against the tree. Hermione and Theo join him, and wait for him to elaborate. "Forgiveness. Bloody tosser was trying his luck." 

"He sounded sincere to me," Hermione says, worrying her lower lip between her teeth. Draco snorts, "You'd even believe Voldemort was sorry. Leave this task to us Slytherins, Granger. Don't go about forgiving him. He wasn't sorry at all."

"He's right," Theo says. "He knew Draco is an Legilimens so he didn't even look at him. Looks like our big fat Krum chum can't keep his brain shut."

"It is a bit fishy," Hermione says, agreeing. "A bit?" Draco snorts. "Okay. It's all fish and fishy," she replies. "Granger?" Theo says, "Please do us a favour and stop trying with your sense of humor. It gives me a headache in my heart...."

Day Thirty Three

Her hair is at war with the wind as she navigates her way through the forest to find a place to empty her bladder. A curse is at the tip of her tongue, when the leaves on the trees rustle.

The leaves crunch beneath heavy boots as they approach her. Hermione's eyes widen and she whirls around to face whatever it was. It was nothing. A disillusionment charm. 

She could've killed herself for her stupidity, because her wand isn't on her. She'd left it back in her sleeping bag, choosing to carry toilet paper with her instead. Well, shit.

"Who's there?" she asks, taking several steps back, trying to locate a safe exit. The approaching footsteps increase their pace and then she's running in the opposite direction. Away from the footsteps, away from the boys, away from safety.

She knocks into something hard and stumbles back. But there's nothing in front of her. And then she's being pulled up and magic touches her skin.

And then she faints.