Chapter 1: Arrival

Y/N POV

The bags in my hands felt like lead bars as I stared up at the dorms. The taxi behind me collected another passenger and sped off, away from the large campus situated in southern Los Angeles, where I currently stood. I had one shoulder bag with a few clothing articles and personal possessions, and a suitcase with my computers and recording equipment. In my other hand was a piece of paper with my dorm assignments and class schedule. I mustered up my strength and walked into the dorm hall in front of me, holding on tightly to my possessions.

~~~

Room 217C. I looked at the door, taking my hand off the suitcase handle for one moment to knock on the door. A few seconds later, the door opens to reveal a shorter girl with straight black hair, wearing a purple shirt and cat headphones. "Hi!" she chirps. "Can I help you?"

"Um, yeah," I respond, using my normal everyday voice. "This is room 217C, right? I think we're roommates!"

The girl's eyes lit up. "Yay! Well then, my name is Jess Bravura! You probably know me as Aphmau!"

I nod, deciding which name I should introduce myself with. "Yeah, I've heard of your channel! I'm Y/N, or otherwise known as C/N!"

Jess claps. "I knew you looked familiar! Welcome Y/N! Can I help you with your stuff?" She reached for my suitcase. I let her take it. "Thanks. Be careful though, that's my recording equipment."

She nods, setting the suitcase by an empty desk that's marked with a sticky note that reads "Reserved for future best friend". I smile at it. Jess seems like an even nicer person than in her videos, if that's even possible.

There's two beds placed at the far end of the room. One is covered in purple sheets and stuffed animals, and there's a huge poster above it, with drawings of a bunch of different people. Jess noticed me looking at it and says: "That's all the people from my channel!" I nod, and set my bag down on the other bed, which I noticed was already made with the sheets and comforter I sent to the university a couple weeks ago. I look at Jess, and she laughs a little sheepishly.

"I may have opened your stuff, but I wanted to make things nice for you," she says. "Sorry."

I laugh. "Don't apologize for being super freaking nice."

She laughs. "Thank you!"

It seems like she's about to say more, but someone knocks on the door, causing the both of us to glance up at the door.

"I'll get it!" Jess bounces towards the door. I follow at a slower pace as she flings the door open, revealing two boys. One is slightly taller and pale, with curly brown hair. He's wearing a yellow hoodie with a skull on it and jeans. The other boy is strong and buff, with short black hair. He's wearing a bodybuilding tank top and shorts.

"Hey there!" The shorter boy says. "We live across the hall, and wanted to say hi to our new neighbors!"

"Hi!" Jess responds. "I'm Jess Bravura, and this is Y/N L/N!" She points to where I am, gripping onto the door frame. I smile and lift one hand in a wave.

"I'm Pat Julianelle," he says, "And this is Benjamin- uh, how do you say your last name again?" He turns to the curly-haired boy.

"Vestergaard," Ben says, and his Danish accent is very obvious on his voice.

"You're Danish." The words slip out of my mouth before I can stop myself.

Ben looks a little taken aback. "Yeah, I am."

I smile. "That's really neat. I've always wanted to go to Denmark."

He smiles in return, and silence falls over the four of us until Jess breaks it. "What are your channel names?"

"Mine is Popularmmos," Pat responds.

"I'm Crainer," Ben offers.

I smile, recognizing both of their channel names. "C/N."

"Aphmau," Jess points to herself.

"So, are we all gaming Youtubers?" Ben asks. Jess nods.

"Yes, I believe so."

"You're a gamer?" I ask Pat. He nods. "Wow. I just figured you were a fitness Youtuber since you're so buff."

He laughs and flexes. "Why thank you for noticing."

Jess and I laugh. "Hey, we should all hang out later," she offers. "So we can get to know each other better before the first day of classes."

Pat nods. "Good idea." He pulls out his phone. "Let's all exchange numbers."

I switch phones with Ben, and then Pat, as we put our contact info in them. "Let's say 7? Y/N and mine's place?" Jess asks. The boys nod.

"Alright, cool! We'll see you later!" Jess smiles at them and closes the door.

I smile. "I've been here five minutes, and I've already made three new friends. This place is gonna be great!"

"More than just new friends! Did you see them? Talk about yum!" Jess leaned against the door and fanned at her face dramatically. I laughed.

Why do I make Aphmau so cringe