Chapter 7

Chapter 7~Luca

Luca woke up the next morning to the sweet sound of birds' singing outside her window. She looked to check the time on her alarm clock: 11:00 am. Wow, she thought.

She stretched and yawned, slowly getting out of bed to face the day ahead of her.

She opened her door and strutted down the stairs to find her family engaged in brunch.

"Good morning," Amelia chirped. Luca rubbed her eyes, still sleepy.

She looked around the table.

"Where's Cain?" She asked.

"He said he was going hunting." Amelia mumbled, coating a bagel in cream cheese. Alpha Joel was reading the morning paper from the pack.

"But we just went hunting.." Luca said, confused.

The Luna shrugged.

"He seemed pretty determined to go. He was up at six this morning," The Luna concluded.

"That's pretty...unlike Cain." Luca murmured, and took a seat at the large oak table with Graham.

Graham was poking at his plate, which contained fluffy yellow eggs. The young boy, who was usually full of energy, was acting somewhat lethargic.

Amelia leaned over the table and placed a plate containing two bagel halves in front of Luca.

"Thanks." Luca mumbled, whipping the sleep from her eyes and taking a bite of the still warm food.

Graham was still poking at his food. Amelia started doing the dishes.

"Graham, what's wrong?" Luca finally asked. She had never seen her brother like this before.

Graham didn't reply.

"Are the kids at school making fun of you again?" Graham shook his head no.

"Then what is it?"

Graham glanced to see if his mother was paying attention before he started speaking.

Then he whispered, "I had a nightmare last night."

"Oh, what happened?" Luca asked, concerned. Her brother never seemed like this.

Graham glanced once again to make sure no one was looking.

"You-" And then he cupped his face in his hands and rushed away upstairs in one brief motion.

"Graham!" Luca called after her brother, following him up the stairs and into Graham's closed bedroom. She twisted the doorknob only to find that it was locked.

"Graham! Open the door!" She knocked loudly on the heavy wooden door.

There was a clicking noise and the door flew open, but Graham wasn't in sight.

"Graham? I'm here to help. Just tell me about your dream. I won't be mad and I won't laugh at you. Please."

Graham peaked his head from around his closet door and faced his sister, sparkling tears hanging in his green eyes.

He ran to Luca and wrapped his arms tightly around her thigh.

"I love you," He sniffled.

"I love you, too." Luca hugged her brother tightly.

"In the dream," Graham paused, "You- you were dying. Cain was there too. You were dying and we couldn't even do anything about it besides watch it happen."

Luca was speechless and the only thought that was flowing through her mind was her brother's muffled cries against her shoulder.

She patted his back.

"It's okay. I'm here now. It was just a dream." Luca said, trying to convince herself as well as Graham.

"It- just seemed so real..." Graham cried.

Luca looked her youngest brother in the eyes.

"I won't ever leave you." She said, holding out her pinkie finger.

"You promise?" Graham sniffled again, wrapping his own skinny finger around his sister's.

"I pinkie promise." Luca smiled, feeling something melt in her heart as her brother whispered, "I love you," again in her ears.