Chapter 5

Chapter 5~ Luca

"I'm proud of your catch, son." Alpha Joel said to his oldest son, Cain, as they ate the remains from the afternoon hunt.

Luca rolled her eyes wishing that Cain had told their father what had really happened when he went to catch the deer in the woods. She sighed.

"I helped too, Dad. I helped carry it home." Graham interjected, making sure that he got some of Cain's glory, too.

"I'm sure you did a great job, Graham." Alpha Joel praised both his sons, making Luca even more annoyed. She glared at Cain long enough for him to notice and smirk back at his sister.

"One day, you'll be hunting things like your brother and sister, too." Alpha Joel smiled with pride as he looked at each of his children. They couldn't be any more perfect.

Graham smiled, beaming with delight, and stuffed a big bite of mashed potatoes in his mouth. When he finished chewing and swallowing, he took a sip of milk and then faced his father, a concern expression on his seven year-old face.

"How come you haven't been eating with us, Dad?" Graham asked. His innocence made Alpha Joel feel somewhat guilty that he hadn't been with his family lately.

Luca glanced at her parents, secretly wondering the same thing as Graham. Why hadn't Alpha Joel been eating with his family lately? She thought to herself. But, then she remembered that some things just weren't here business.

Luca caught her mother glaring at her father as if saying with her eyes or maybe mind-linking, "Well?"

Alpha Joel stiffened and returned back to his youngest son.

"Oh, I've just been busy with work, and trying to keep your mother happy, of course." He smirked at his Luna and winked. The Luna began to chuckle as she reached for her drink.

Luca nudged at her still mostly raw venison. Inside her head, her wolf was salivating just from looking at the cut of meat, but Luca on the other hand was on the verge of holding back from getting sick. The meat was so raw that she could probably feel the animal's vitals through her mind-link. She shivered, cut off a small chunk of meat, and placed it delicately in her mouth. Then she took a large bite of mostly butter covered mashed potatoes to mask the flavor of meat in her mouth. She could only hope that her family didn't watch her eat and discover her rather strange eating habits.

The family continued to converse with the occasional small talk. Luca had to admit, if spying on her father was what she needed to do in order to get him to spend time with the family, then she would definitely invest more of her free time spying. It felt good to have a family meal together.

When the conversation veered and went back towards Cain's Hunting Expedition, again. Luca sneered at her brother again.

"Liar." She mumbled to Cain through their mind-link, making Cain lose his train of thought.

Cain returned a glare to his sister and tried to regain his thought process.

Alpha Joel glanced at the two of them.

"No mind-linking at the table, Cain and Luca, you should know better," The Alpha chided. Luca sunk back in her chair, feeling like a two year old who just got put in time out.

"Sorry." She mumbled, nibbling from her depleting pile of mashed potatoes.

"Oh, so where was I?-" Cain continued, "Oh, yeah, right. The part where I made the kill."

Luca rolled her eyes again at her brother. He was so stuck up about his hunting skill some times.

"Yeah, you left out the part where you almost got us killed." Luca couldn't help but interject after hearing the incorrect version of the story at least four times that night.