Chapter 3

Chapter 3~Luca

"Faster! Hurry up!" Cain said through their mind-link to Luca and Graham.

Luca growled and playfully bit her brother's leg. The forest zoomed past their gaze. Luca panted as her white wolf sprinted. It felt so good to run, to be free.

Cain's large black wolf towered over her. He sprinted past her white wolf and raced ahead into the thick foliage ahead.

Behind Luca, stumbled Graham's tiny brown wolf. He was only a pup and was still small in size, but the boy insisted on participating in his brother and sister's races through the woods.

Graham barked behind Luca and Luca smirked through her gritted teeth at her littlest brother. He was definitely going to be a strong wolf we he got older. The pure white wolf lifted up her snout to the blue clear sky and howled.

"Where did he go now?" Luca mind linked Graham. Graham shook his large wolf head at his older sister.

Luca howled again for Cain. She couldn't help but feel worried even though Cain's wolf was sleek and fast and almost bigger than her own.

The cool wind blew a breeze over Graham and Luca's fur, making the leaves on the trees rustle. This was the first day in many that it hadn't rained. The wolves had decided to take this day to their advantage and do some sibling bonding. After all, the wolves didn't get out much, especially lately. Just recently Alpha Joel had been getting sterner and stricter as he aged. He often was locked in his study reading reports from other packs and rubbing his forehead with a pounding headache.

It had been almost a week since the meeting with the other packs, and yet Alpha Joel still seemed over worked. He had missed dinner the past few nights, too. And to make the family worried more; Alpha Joel had missed venison steak that night, which just so happened to be his and most other wolves' favorite meal.

Cain, Luca, and Graham could've gone out into the forest alone. After all, Luca was the next Luna in line and Cain had one of the strongest and fastest wolves in the whole pack. Together as a team, they could obviously protect themselves and little Graham, who demanded to his father that he could travel alone in the forest. Rouges didn't scare Graham for some reason, at least not yet.

"Cain, very funny. You beat us, as usual, now come back here," Luca mind-linked her brother. She could smell his scent through the thick forest foliage. Cain was fine, she told herself. He always was just playing tricks on them, even though most of the time, they weren't very funny.

Graham began to whimper and he shifted back and forth on his paws, nervously.

"He's never been gone this long when he tricks us..." Graham whimper through the mind-linked.

This was true, Luca thought. But, then again, it was Cain. He was always in the mood for a prank. He was only sixteen, and he hadn't fully matured yet. That was another reason why Luca was the next suitable pick to lead the pack: she was mature and had been mature for a while. Alpha Joel had taught his daughter discipline, which some could say Cain lacked.

Luca stiffened as she listened to the soft sound of a rumbling brook traveling through the forest near them. She was trying not to get worried about her brother, who was probably just doing something stupid like he usually did.

"I'm faster and stronger than rogues, there's nothing to worry about." Cain had once told Luca when he deserted her and Graham one day in the woods.

"You haven't even seen a rogue. How do you know that your bigger and stronger than them? Just because you have Alpha blood running through your veins doesn't mean your better than any other wolf out there." Luca had retorted back to her younger brother.