Part II, Chapter 11: A Hero's Guilt

It was on this afternoon that the Valentians decided to make haste back home, after feasting with the new Queen of the yet-to-be-recognized Kingdom of Mauritania. It was this feast that celebrated the small but important founding and establishment of the Kingdom, but the lamentable circumstances made it silent, sad, and quick.

Then, slowly, a couple of the knights returned to the tent. Afon was carried carefully back onto the ship. Cameron and Felix watched this procedure, their heads hanging low. Nadia made sure to, too. When she lifted her own head, tears ran down her eyes.

"I cannot say enough thanks," she expressed, "for saving my life, and all of my family's and court's lives. All of you," she said, letting her sad smile glow.

"Our work has only now begun. We will work so your prior generation's homeland is restored," the King promised, "from the unjustly violated mess that it is now, back to its proper glory."

"It will be more glorious than you will imagine," Queen Nadia sniffed a little. "Keep an ear out for news," she nodded.

"I'll keep in contact," Felix smiled. "My advice... you can perhaps assemble enough of a crew to sail a ship, and have them make regular sailings and patrols. Any ship of yours would be welcome in my port," he assured, "though be wary of others until this treaty is finalized."

The treaty, with the fox not being alive to sign it, was officiated by the majority of the ex-Lusitanians that lived there. They called themselves Mauretanians, glad in spite of any higher word to be subject to the Queen's rule. The fox meanwhile most certainly and quickly succumbed to the arrow Cameron put into him. He did take the life of a knight, after all, as well as even dare to attempt to do the same for a king. A fitting end to evil ambition, it thus was.

It sure didn't feel like the proper end of this journey. What felt like a brief adventure now resulted in this noble Cambrian's death, all on Valentian affairs. Felix worried that this would worsen diplomatic relations with Cambria and its allies. Hopefully it would be understood that the Valentian royalty offered their condolences.

The Valentian party boaded the boat, and they thus sailed off, after some farewells. Felix knew that this would hardly be the last time he saw the Queen of Mauretania, however. Cameron waved to her as they sailed away.

He felt, then, as if he was haunted with a presence, but it was a good kind of haunting, if that made sense: It was almost if a certain corgi was beside him, waving goodbye as well.

Cameron ate his full ration, two nights into the journey, with only one remaining. Gibraltar was still easily passed through, with no one having had any idea of the brief yet impactful affair that took place those nights before. The collie ate late, then, as he looked at the sea. It was a beautiful sight: The stars were in full, unaltered shine, reflecting off the water.

He looked down at his full serving of rations and leaned his head down, feeling this pang of sorrow upon seeing it. It was the very first time he was sad to be eating a full plate of food. He heaved a little, almost crying. Felix, having been behind Cameron and witnessing this same starry sea, suddenly brushed a heavy paw on the collie boy's back.

"Snff... I'm sorry, Your Highness," the canine whined. "I just can't hold it in. This was supposed to be Afon's food, and I can't stomach it without shedding a tear."

"Then weep, Cameron. You have every right to," the King nodded. "Nobody's up here, and even if they were, they wouldn't think any lesser of you for it. Last night, everyone was bawling their eyes out," the lion said.

"Even you, Felix?" Cameron asked.

"Yes. Even me," the royalty replied, looking down. He wanted to make the move to dry the poor dog's tears, but knew that it'd be too intimate and strange. He simply watched, as the dog now softly ran his tears down.

"Look. I... came up here to say something, Cameron," the King then stated, scooting closer.

"What is it?" Cameron replied.

"It's... awfully hard to talk about, I know, but, what you did back there was brave. Very brave, Cameron," the lion smiled.

"What did I do, exactly?" the collie then asked, much to Felix's disbelief.

"What did you do— Nonsense!— Why, you saved my life! You don't remember!?" Felix asked, astonished. "That fox was preparing to stab me, too, he had me cornered. Why, I don't at all know what would become of the Kingdom if you weren't so quick with a bow."

"I guess I forget even choosing to do that. It just felt like it needed to be done," Cameron modestly said. "I just remembered what my mother taught me of the bow. She always went to the woods and hunted for me, and wanted to make sure I could fend for myself before she passed."

"She taught you well. You got right through that bastard's heart," the King smiled, though it now seemed he unintentionally upset the collie.

"Oh, no! God, please forgive me! I-I didn't mean to kill him! I mean, I did, and I aimed it well, and I meant it, but I killed someone!" he was reduced to tears, leaning into the big lion's shoulder, still in shock from his own actions, and saying it until it didn't even have a meaning.

"You rest your head, Cameron. You'll feel better about it in the morning," Felix prescribed. "You're acting as if you're a murderer. You'd best realize you are a hero soon, here."

The boat finally made its way into the port of Valentia, her homeland. A crowd had gathered after the first spotting of the boat, and cheered with this sight. Ophelia made her way onto the dock, and waved. She looked exhausted, and happy that her husband had apparently found a safe way home. A fanfare played, as the party stepped off the dock. Felix came first, as well as a few of the knights guarding him. Then, the crowd quieted a little, as the rest of the knights bore the physical form of the main news:

With the sight of the corgi's body, the world learned that Afon was dead. The crew of the Cambrian ship that had initially brought the knight to this land seemed to be beyond shocked. They rushed over, and took a look at their fallen noble, mournfully.

"Felix! Oh, what happy news— oh. God, Afon. Oh, what happened to him?" Queen Ophelia softly mewled, covering her mouth as her tone quickly shifted.

"He was assassinated," Felix quickly described, "by the governor of the Lusitanians we found there. I'm sorry to bear such bad news."

"He can't have died in vain," Ophelia held to hope.

"He did not. It was a definite and satisfactory victory. I'll tell you all about it over dinner," promised her husband.

The lioness Queen nodded in agreement, then gasped in relief. "Oh, Cameron!"

The collie in question yelped with glee. "Ophelia! How I missed you!"

"You too, you little scandal, come here!" the Queen chuckled, and sweetly embraced her favorite collie companion. "I was worried sick about where you even were!"

"That collie of yours saved my life, he truly did," Felix chuckled.

"What?! How'd he do that?!" Ophelia asked, surprised at such a statement.

"I'll tell you all about it over dinner," Cameron replied, imitating his King.

"Speaking of 'worried sick'," the King suddenly wondered, "how was the kingdom running while I was away? Was Iago of good assistance?" he especially asked.

The Queen answered awkwardly: "I'll tell you about it over dinner, like you said."

This response unsettled Felix with the tone it was delivered in, and the expression he saw on his wife's face.