One

*

St. George's Park, Burton-upon-Trent

The media including several big tv channels such as BBC Sport and Sky Sports News, have descended on the England teams national training base to hear the announcement of what has been known for some time.

Reshmin Chowdhury: "Welcome to the leafy surroundings of St. George's Park, situated just outside Burton-upon-Trent.

As you know this is the home of England's teams from youth level, right up until the seniors of Gareth Southgate's men's team and the Lionesses, for whom we are gathered here as we unveil the new head coach.

But before the Football Association publicly announce the lucky candidate, they would like to remind you that any quotes from the following press conference will be embargoed until 10pm tonight, when at that time; you may release the information.

So without further ado, let's introduce the new England Women's head coach.

A former player for Everton and most notably Manchester United under the great Sir Alex Ferguson, where he won 14 trophies with the club, represented England 59 times throughout in his career and attended three European championships.

Part of a sporting family in which dad Neville was a renowned player and coach, brother Gary was a celebrated player and is now a pundit while sister Tracey is a Commonwealth Gold winning coach with the England Netball; please welcome Mr Phil Neville".

The former full-back appears from backstage to tumultuous applause, used to the flashing cameras and attention from his playing days, he shakes it off and then takes up a seat onstage next to Reshim.

Reshmin: "Congratulations Phil".

Phil Neville: "Thank you".

Reshmin: "Head coach of the England Women's Football team or the Lionesses, how excited are you?".

Phil: "You know what, I'm very excited. This is one of the best coaching jobs in the world and I couldn't be happier at getting to work with a wonderful group of players".

Reshmin: "When did the players and most importantly when did you find out?".

Phil: "The girls have been out in La Manga for warm weather training with Mo Marley and so I went out there to see them on one of their last days there.

They all seem pretty pleased and I spoke to the captain Steph Houghton, I think it might have been the day I flew home and she explained that all the girls were upbeat and excited about a new challenge. They're looking forward to the She Believes Cup tournament in America and then the World Cup qualifier at home against Wales.

I think I must have found out while we were out for our usual Friday night family meal in Bury".

At that, a small flutter of laughter echoes around the room.

Reshmin: "Some people were worried about your lack of experience and your lack of knowledge about the players in the women's game. How have you gone about learning about your international players and the clubs they represent?".

Phil: "When I first found out, I had sort of already started to look through the players that have represented England recently and then also the older, experienced players in the squad. I then researched youth players that have been tipped to do big things at their clubs or internationally, making notes of players I would like to bring through.