Seven

*

Red Bull Arena, New Jersey

The Lionesses switched location from Philadelphia to Newark, moving hotels as to be to closer to the ground next game day, making it a quick hop from the hotel on the bus. Something that's needed for a quick getaway to take things off your mind, especially when you've drawn 2-2 and not in a good way.

Phil: "Now they're plenty of things we can learn from this, starting with our stamina and how to retain the ball when we lose it, that's definitely something we need to work on. I'm not disappointed in our performance or you effort, just a little upset at the way that we finished".

He looks around the dressing room, at the crestfallen faces and the younger girls who aren't used to this type of confrontation; sympathising with them.

Phil: "I don't want to go into too much detail, this is a touchy subject and we shall address it at the correct time, so I suggest you change and we can back on the bus".

Before he leaves, the manager looks at Ana and she holds his gaze for a second before he leads the staff out.

Ana: "Can I have a quick word with Georgia and Ellie please? Bronzey I'll be coming to you next".

The two younger girls look startled but follow Ana out of the room all the same, Georgia's boots making a loud 'clack' on the concrete floor as the assistant manager takes them further down the corridor to where it's quiet.

Ana: "Don't look so worried".

Ana smiles at the City duo and they nervously let out small laughs, 'this is very unlike Georgia' she thinks as she observes the forward and keeper.

Ana: "I just wanted to check that you were ok. Phil is very upfront and I know you will be used to this from City but this is a different kind of pressure. I am aware that you may felt that when you've played for the U20's but I need to make sure my players feel ok".

Georgia: "We're fine Ana, aren't we Ellie?".

She throws an arm around her shoulder and pulls Ellie into her side.

Ellie: "Peachy".

Georgia: "Really Ells, that the best you could come up with?".

Ana stifles a laugh and just about manages a smile as Georgia is laughing at Ellie, the keeper trying to escape from her grip; blushing slightly.

Ana: "Alright as long as you're both 'peachy' as Ellie here put it...".

Ellie now buries her face in Georgia's shoulder and the little bit of her cheek that Ana could see was a dark shade of red.

Ana: "Right you two, off you pop. I may be a bit more lenient if you're late but don't expect me to be totally fine with it. I still have high standards".

The two youngsters nod and head back to the changing room as Ana walks back with them before peeling off to the coaches room, finding Phil and the rest of the staff packing away; Phil looking up as she walks in.

Phil: "Ready to go?".

Ana: "Yeh I was just talking to Georgia and Ellie and seeing if they were ok after everything. Gotta speak to Bronzey on the coach too".