Chapter 11

Carla’s POV

Of course it wasn’t the wind.

I awoke with a cloth duct taped around my neck and more of the silver stuff binding my hands and feet.  I bet this was the last of the many purposes the store clerk expected for its use when the burly man bought it.  It made for a good harness though, as I experimentally tested its strength.  No chance of me getting out of this singlehandedly.  But who could be the other hand?

My heart almost stopped as I remembered.  That boy.  Spitting image of my son.  The sleek, jet black hair.  The small stature.  The intense blue-green eyes. It had to just be a coincidence, lots of people look similar, right?

But why would he have tried to help me?

Most teenage boys would run away. But it seemed he tried to tackle the man who kidnapped me, and seeing his slim stature I was sure he knew the odds weren’t in his favor.  But those eyes, they had something in it that I hadn’t seen in a long time.  Bravery.  Courage.  Accepting the possibility of his demise, yet trying anyway.  

I hope he won’t give up on me.

Sean’s POV

I woke up lying in a bush, with a throbbing pain in my head, as if a construction worker was stuck in there and was trying to get out.  With a jackhammer.   I silently thanked the Lord that no bleeding had occurred.  The man just hit the hot spot that caused me to lose consciousness.  I did a quick recon, but I knew it was just for show.

They were gone.

Gone.

The words echoed in my mind, bouncing against my skull with monster-truck force.  However, pain in my head was nothing compared to the pain in my heart.  I let him get her! I shouldn’t have stalled; I should’ve just jumped into him before he could notice.  I can’t believe I didn’t even suspect he would just take me out.  I have to find her.

There was probably nothing I could do right now, I gathered, as I looked at the mockingly cheerful evening.  I must’ve been out for about a day.  And no one even moved my body, much less called the cops.  Wow, the amount of love for me is overwhelming.

I curled up my knees, warming them with my hands.  I reached my mind back to recall the date.  October 3rd.  I should’ve recognized the signs of fall around me.  Throughout the chaos in my mind, I needed this moment in time to breathe.  Breathe, I thought.  Just sit here, breathe, and watch the slowly-changing leaves fall, feel the brisk breeze, sweeping those already fallen leaves back and forth like waves on the shore.  So peaceful, so quiet, I could feel my eyelids flutter gently, and close.

What a perfect moment for a car to drive by, honking as it went.

My eyes sprung open, and my moment had ended.  But I needed that wake up call.

It was time to get down to business.

Carla’s POV

I had been waiting here for hours.  Waiting for what, I’m not sure.  I was in what I’d call a classic gang-style hideout.  Rusty metal walls surrounded me, trapping me in a cage of steel.  Jail-cell type windows near the top let in the only light in the room.  I sighed, breathing in the lovely smell of cigars.  The only possible exit to freedom would be the equally rusty elephant of a door.  I could imagine it taking three men just to open one of the double doors.  Men.  Where are they?

I half expected them to come in right on cue as I asked that mental question, but no. 

Back to waiting.

Please save me, black haired boy.

Finally, a (small) upload! I've been missing this story!