Chapter 17: There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow?

When I woke up, I kept my eyes tightly shut, thinking that maybe if I stayed like this long enough life would go back to normal. 

"Emma, Misty and I are going to breakfast," Amanda announced. 

I groaned. My theory had been wrong. "Ok. I'll be there eventually." 

I heard the door close and sat up, looking around. Their bags were still littered around the room, so I guessed we were staying here for a while longer and I wouldn't have to bother getting all my stuff together before joining my friends. Dressing quickly, not wanting to ignore my empty stomach, I ran to the Pokemon Center's kitchen area. 

Everyone in our group was there. Brock was staring at his bowl of oatmeal, looking up eagerly every time he heard footsteps down the hallway, but frowning every time it wasn't Nurse Joy. Misty and Amanda had bonded immensely in the past day. They were talking about Water Pokemon and eating fruit from a large bowl that sat in the center of the table. Amanda was giving Togepi strawberries. I looked to the other side of the table to see that Daniel was competing with Ash to see who could eat the most pancakes. 

"They've been doing that the past half hour," Anthony informed me as I sat down. "Disgusting, isn't it?" 

I wasn't sure if I should disapprove or laugh-it was funny. 

"So, did you all sleep well last night?" I asked tersely, remembering the gossiping jab that Daniel had given me last night, trying to leave out the visual of him in a lone towel as I remembered our conversation. 

"Daniel kept trying to badger your dad's current love life out of him." Anthony poked at a diced potato roughly. "I told him to leave your dad alone." 

"Thanks. You're so much more responsible." I sighed in relief. 

"I'm also a lot less fun, or so I'm told," Anthony said darkly. 

"You know that's not true." I frowned. Anthony and I normally didn't talk often, at least about feelings. I mean, we met up with Anthony for a week or so every couple months, but I still didn't know him too well considering we never spent time alone together. Yet last night he'd proven that he had my dad's best interests at heart, so I swallowed any awkwardness I felt and said soothingly, "You're so great at battling that I think you may be my favorite opponent." 

"Really?" A tone of shrewd disbelief. 

"Well, yeah. Not to mention you're funny and smart." I shrugged, starting to feel embarrassed. I grabbed a plate of French toast and took a bite so I wouldn't have to talk anymore, avoiding Anthony's eyes. 

"Thanks," he said, also beginning to eat again, his cheeks red. 

I turned my attention to my dad and Daniel. 

"Hah! I win." Daniel grinned, putting down his fork triumphantly. 

Ash frowned in defeat, then smiled. "I'm still going to win at the Pokemon Gym today. Who cares about some eating contest?" 

"He wouldn't be saying that if he had won," Misty whispered so only Amanda and I could hear. We laughed quietly. 

"Did you say that you're challenging Pryce?" Nurse Joy walked in holding a jug of orange juice. 

Brock stood up, almost knocking a plate of scrambled eggs onto the floor. "Nurse Joy! You look absolutely radiant this morning." 

Daniel, who had been drinking a glass of milk, attempted not to spray the table with a Milk Gun attack as held in his laughter.