Chapter 41: Sooner

Chapter 41: Sooner

Daniel

The beginning of the fight had not been fun. My extremely extensive knowledge of this suit was that I could use the force field by holding my right arm in front of my torso, palm facing myself. The running and jumping with super strength was easy. And that was it. Fighting? I'd never really fought anyone before. I'd gone to the most expensive private school money could buy (against my will). If you even thought about creasing your blazier you'd almost get suspended. Besides, I usually got along with everyone. So throwing a punch at someone already felt as foreign as having extra limbs.

I thought about my basic knowledge of the tech I was wearing. The whole point of designing the suit was so that Trainers would be able to wear it and battle with their Pokemon. They couldn't actually get hurt from being attacked, but they could store up the energy and use it a lot like Pokemon attacks. Or use the energy as a shield.

But I had no idea how to do that. There hadn't been a manual. I had cool ideas, not the science to actually make them happen.

The red suit guy slammed into me. He'd been flying around like a Beedrill because of Metagross' Psychic attack. I really didn't like how Metagross could multitask. It wasn't fair to have to climb in the limbs of trees and launch myself at this guy. With no fighting experience or Pokemon to help me.

Really, it was a good thing Emma was stubborn and stayed to help me, or else I would have been toast.

"Daniel, act like you're throwing a punch!" I heard Emma scream at me. "Fight like you!"

What did that even mean? Fight like me? Like this was normal. Oh, sure Emma. The amount of sarcasm I wanted to throw at her. But, of course, I didn't have time to do anything but fight like me. Honestly, woman.

A fist drove into my left arm, causing me to wince as the metal crushed, but not enough to suffocate my arm. Only enough to make moving it uncomfortable. I grabbed at his neck, holding on for dear life as I tried to kick him, but missed. His body was falling forward because of my extra weight. He pushed at my elbow, breaking my grip.

I fell to the forest floor, dropping to a squat and rolling like the thirty foot drop was nothing. My eyes scanned the trees for him. I caught him kneeling on a thick branch to my right and started climbing as fast as I could. It was nice that the suit would pinpoint branches for me to grab or else I would have taken forever getting up there.

Right when I was about to fling myself at him, he turned and said, "Why didn't you listen to me?"

"You almost killed my friend," I said, shocked that he could even think that was a good question.

"Don't meddle. Everything will be taken care of," he said in this adult voice I hated, like they knew everything would be all sunshine and rainbows if we followed their stupid, fun sucking system.

"Who are you to tell me what to do? You almost killed someone. You can't just come back in time and act like I'm the one ruining everything." I changed my stance, really ready to mean my next punch.

"It would be best for all of us."

"If what?"

"If she died."

Everything inside me stopped as I took in those three words. What it would mean if that actually happened.

"You couldn't possibly mean that," I said. "Emma? Emma Ketchum?"

"You have no idea how much of a nuisance she is to the future."

"Your future?" I asked.

"Your future," he emphasized.

Mine. I took a deep breath, feeling lightheaded. "You have to have this all wrong. I mean, that's Emma. What could she possibly ever do?"