Chapter 15: Lunch

Chapter 15: Lunch  

We all walked over to Brock who poured us bowls of hot stew. I placed Cyndaquil on the ground, who immediately went over to one of the multiple bowls of Pokemon food that Brock had been kind enough to set up. 

We all sat down in a circle on the grass, eating and talking about practically anything that came to our minds as we made "new friends" with this familiar, yet unfamiliar group of people.  

It was almost awkward to hear my parents talk so openly about their wants and desires. Usually they were so focused on my own needs and their jobs that they never opened up about what they wanted, so it was weird seeing them like this. They were currently growing up without a kid to take care of, a gym to manage, or challengers asking for matches every day. They were just out having fun on their Pokemon journeys, carefree without a clue that they were having lunch with people that knew exactly what they would become when they grew up. 

Looking at photos of your parents in their old albums and thinking, "Wow, they were so nerdy back then!" or "Do you think they knew they'd grow up to marry each other?" was nothing compared to this. I was actually sitting across from my mom and dad twenty-five years in the past and they obviously didn't know what the future had cooked up for them. 

Of course, we all did, and we were probably caught staring in awe and disbelief every time we studied their characteristics, so like the ones they had now, but on younger faces. 

"So Brock's eyes actually have always been like that," Daniel whispered to me. I laughed, almost spitting out stew. 

Brock and Anthony were having a very intelligent discussion on Pokemon breeding. 

"Well, I haven't met many Breeders, but I have learned to make my own Pokemon food," Brock informed Anthony. 

"Yeah, it seems like all of our Pokemon love it." Anthony gestured over to our Pokemon who were munching happily away, depleting Brock's supply of gourmet Pokemon chow. 

"I use different blends for each type of Pokemon since each type has their own dietary needs," Brock continued. "So, do you have a goal after traveling around?" 

"Oh, I don't know." Anthony began concentrating fiercely at the fork in his hand. "I was thinking of being a Pokemon doctor. My mom is a nurse." 

Brock's smile became very glazed and distant upon that news.  

I looked over at my mom, who was chatting animatedly about Togepi with Amanda, "Yeah, Ash found Togepi's egg in Kanto. Brock carried the egg around and cared for it till it hatched, but since I was the first one Togepi looked at, she thought I was her mom so I got to keep her. Isn't that right Togepi?" 

"Pri, pri!" Togepi crooned, sitting on the ground with a piece of Pokemon food. Pikachu was talking happily to Bonnie, Amanda's Ampharos, and Thistle, Daniel's Jolteon. Every now and then I saw a spark of electricity rush from one to another, causing them to laugh as if it tickled or was the punch line of an inside joke. And maybe it was, but could only be heard in the current of energy. 

"That's so sweet! You know, they've discovered that Togepi evolves into Togetic, which can then evolve into a Togekiss. They're so graceful when they fly around. I've seen one before. They're beautiful." Amanda sighed happily. "I want to catch one someday." 

"Seems like everyone's getting along," Daniel said into my ear. I shrugged as I watched my dad eat his third bowl of stew with gusto, giving me the impression that he was going to eat enough for a herd of Tauros. 

After another half hour of chat, we all got up, stretched, and helped Brock clean the dishes before packing our bags. With all of our backpacks situated, my parents and Brock seemed content to just continue talking to us. Ash, especially, was still excited about all the Pokemon we owned.