Chapter 11

Leafbare was intense. It was not the snow that was so bad, but the sickness that raged through the clan. The cold had brought an unseen enemy to ThunderClan and they were losing that battle as well their fights for Sunningrocks.

"It is good to see you're finally coming around!" Runningwind purred. He pressed against her long, soft furs.

She chirped in response, "My clan needs me!"

"It sure does," he rubbed his cheek against hers.

She did the same in response to his action. They had been growing closer and closer, hoping the other would not fall ill and join StarClan prematurely.

The duo jumped as pawsteps crunched the snow. They looked over their shoulders and saw another cat approaching.

"The clan may need more kits, but that can wait till Newleaf. Right now we need more prey," the big, dark tabby rumbled.

Fireflight lashed her tail, "We're just chatting, Tigerclaw, nothing more!"

The idea of raising Runningwind's kits flashed in her mind and her heart ached, knowing she needed to become leader above all else. But...would it really hurt to have one litter of pure-blooded ThunderClan kits?

"Still, the clan is weak and hungry," Tigerclaw replied.

"We can hunt on our way back to camp," Runningwind decided.

And so they did, but they did not find much of anything. Runningwind caught a mouse, but it was so frail it was hardly more than a twig.

"I see you've been with a certain tabby a lot lately," Goldenflower said with a small amount of cheer. It was hard to be cheery in such grim times.

Fireflight sighed and her fur grew hot, "Sure, but we're just friends."

"Mhmm," Goldenflower responded, "that's how the best relationships start!"

Rolling her amber eyes, Fireflight leapt forward. She stood near the border with ShadowClan, and scented the ground.

"How are we?" Whitestorm asked.

"Good!" Fireflight called back, "Just need to mark."

And so they did.

Fireflight and Longtail were sharing a shrew. It was not much, but it was all the pile of fresh kill could spare for them.

"So, are you going to be in the nursery soon?" Longtail casually dropped the question.

"Did you really just ask that?" Fireflight looked at him disbelief.

He blinked at her innocently, "It is an honest question!"

"I'm a warrior and I want to serve my clan best I can," she told him sternly.

"Why not as a queen?" Longtail countered, "We're low on kits and apprentices and you are clearly in love with-," but he was interrupted.

"Shut up!" she hissed, "Runningwind and I are just friends."

"Sure," he rolled his pale eyes.

She decided to tell him, "I want an apprentice soon."

"Runningwind hasn't even had an apprentice," Longtail pointed out, "Besides, why would Bluestar give you an apprentice?"

"Redemption," Fireflight replied, "In fact...," her words drifted off as she got to her feet and moved toward where Bluestar and Rosetail were sharing prey.

"What is the matter?" Bluestar asked curtly as her former apprentice approached.

Fireflight seated herself and asked with dumb courage, "I'd like Sandkit to be my apprentice."

"No," the request wasn't even thought over.

"But, I could redeem myself!" Fireflight insisted.

Bluestar sighed, "You are young. You are inexperienced. You are in love. You can redeem yourself in other ways for now."

Fireflight's jaw hung momentarily before she spluttered, "But Sandkit is the perfect opportunity!"

Bluestar insisted, "I'm afraid not."

Fireflight, bushy red tail lashing, stormed out of the camp. Her heart was racing and thoughts bombarded her internally. Bluestar was unfain. She was keeping Fireflight from her potential, from her future! The young she-cat was sure of it!

What to do?

"Fireflight," Mapleshade murmured.