Chapter One

Elijah Montgomery

I heard my alarm go off and looked at the clock: Seven am. That was three more minutes than I normally get up, but today was a special day. My kids were finally off to first grade. Being five almost six they were ready to head off. Although it’s not an easy thing, sighing running a hand through my hair and rubbed my eyes trying to wash away the drowsiness. I am a single parent, due to their mom running away from them. I felt bad, they deserve my love times two, but how do I compensate love from a mother?  I try, I really do, but sometimes I see the sadness they lack when we are out to the park and moms are playing with their kids. They want a mother, but I don't have time to date, and Caitlin, being the bitch she is ran off, and I haven't even wanted to contact her since,  I mean who would?  I got up shaking off my thoughts, the sheets sliding off my body as I entered the girls' room seeing them sleeping peacefully. They had a set of bunk beds up against the left side of the wall, their bureaus on the right and a small tv that only hooks up to the dvd player above that. Their  blond hair is dangling across their faces, a slight snore coming from their mouths. I chuckled closing the door and going to take a shower.

Once I was done I got dressed into my work clothes. It was mandatory to wear a tux, but I also grabbed my silver watch and set it on my left wrist, and my dark blue beanie hat to cover my brown locks. I walked out and into the girls' room waking Isabella up first because she was the heavy sleeper of the two.  Once she was awake and shining her tired green eyes up at me, I went to Emma waking her up. "Good morning princess," I whispered as she smiled up at me giving me a morning hug with her eyes still closed, obviously not ready for the light.  "Good morning daddy." I hugged her back as Isabella came over and joined the hug. "You girls know that it's your first day of first grade?"

Isabella pulled away excited standing up on Emma’s bed.  "MHM! Daddy I heard the teacher was super nice and pretty!" I chuckled as she smiled big and looked down at Emma. "How bout you Em?"

"I'm scared.."

"Why?" I asked as Bella came down and sat beside Em.

"I don't know, I don't like meeting new people."

"But, I'm your sister Em." Bella said hugging her, "I'll be beside you it will be so much fun. "

Em looked at her before nodding. "Alright how bout before we get ready I cook you guys some blueberry waffles?" I said starting to stand up from my crouching position. They got all excited and pulled me down to the kitchen where I started up the batter and waffle maker. Once we finished eating it was almost 8 and school started at 845. It took 10 to get to my moms and took 15 from there to school, so I quickly helped the girls get ready. Em was in a simple lavender skirt with ruffled flowers at the knees, and a grey top with a sketch of a little girl wearing heart sunglasses. Bella was wearing these light pink pants, and a white shirt with a glittery heart. Both of them wore white flats and a grey flower headband in their dark blonde hair. Once they were ready with their bags I got them buckled into the car, which was a simple black range rover. I drove off to my moms house because me and the kids had to be at two different places at once. I mean I am the owner of the firm but I got to keep up an appearance. My mom opened the door giving the girls a hug,  complementing the outfits they picked out. I smiled as they gave me hugs goodbye. I kissed there head telling them I'd be back to pick them up at 5 and we'd cook dinner together. They waved goodbye as I pulled away from my moms house and drove to my law firm. I don't do many cases, I just regulate them and such. I walked into the building some people already here and greeting me a good morning. I sighed opening my office and taking a seat in my revolving chair. I wish I had time to date, get my baby girls a loving mother but its really hard.

“Mr. Montgomery!” My intern shouted walking right into my office.

I sighed nodding my head. “Yes Jonathan?”

“The funder would like to speak with you on line three.” He quietly replied getting the hint I didn’t approve of his barging in.

“Thank you Jonathan is that all?”

“No, but buzz me when the call is over.” With that he walked out as I picked up the phone. Sure I was the owner and founding member building this place from my fathers un thought plans but we still need people to fund and give us money and boosters.

“Hello.” I spoke into the phone hearing Mr.Potide greeting me.

“Good morning Mr. Montgomery.”

“Good morning sir,” I replied.

“I was wondering..” He went off as I grabbed my notepad writing down things.

After a half hour we bid goodbye as I called Jonathan back in. “What was the other things Jonathan?”

“Margarete has a couple of tough cases nobody in the department can handle. She would greatly appreciate you doing the two cases.” I nodded. “Great, she would like to discuss them with you once she finds the verdict on the Hamilton case Jonas is working on.”

“Okay thank you Jonathan.”

“Welcome Mr. Montgomery.” He replied walking out of the room, the mahogany doors closing behind him and I picked up a file reading it over and signing the bottom. Justice is great, it gives you satisfaction but sometimes the paperwork is dreadful. Leaving my office I walked into the meeting room being greeted by Margarete and she started explaining the cases. I nodded accepting them and headed back to my office to find Jonathan sitting on the arm of a chair. 

"Yes Jonathan?" I asked setting the folders down and finding my seat. 

"How is it having first graders sir?"

"They grow up so fast, but it's amazing watching them grow." He noticed the sad smile I tried to have and patted my back before walking out. 

"I can feel energy coming your way soon sir. You'll be happy in no time." WIth that he closed the door while I stared at it with one eyebrow raised. 

"Yea, okay." I mumbled opening up one of the folders.